Xantia Hydractive 2 Electrovalve wanted

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Xantia Hydractive 2 Electrovalve wanted

Post by Mandrake »

Hi All,

I wonder if someone can help me locate a second hand Hydractive 2 electrovalve for my Xantia. Those following my message threads will know that the front valve in my car is leaking badly internally causing a variety of symptoms including intermitant harsh ride.

As usual, I've so far been unable to locate a second hand one in New Zealand, and even new is looking unlikely or at the least exhorbatively expensive :cry:

Just to remind people what device I'm talking about, here is a picture: (thanks bernie)

They seem to get some kind of grit or foreign objects into them which cause the needle valve not to seat fully, thus high leakage. The problem is, trying to get them apart without breaking them. I'm sure that if I can get it apart it can be cleaned and reconditioned as good as new.

There is a 22mm nut at the base, and a 16mm nut on the overflow, and these should allow them to come apart but they are incredibly tight, suggesting perhaps locktite on the thread. See also:

Because I don't have a spare I can't afford to break either one on my car as it will put me off the road with no hope of finding another valve in the short term. When I had them out I already applied as much torque as I though they would safely stand, and they didnt budge.

So what I'm looking for here is a reasonably cheap second hand one (perhaps from a scrapyard ?) which I can then test - and if it has no leakage I will just use it, but if it does also leak, I can try a bit more vigorously to get it apart, knowing that if I DO break it, my car is not off the road. If I can get it apart I can recondition it and use it.

Anybody got one of these lying around ? :D

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

96.119.952 ELECTRO VALVE

Same part all models. Price tag Dkr 677.45 (ex vat)
Thats some UK£60 - not too bad ?

BTW : from Bernies pictures above the electrovalve coil looks very much like a standard coil for any electrovalve foun in washing machines, oil burners, fuel or water feed controlling valves etc etc. My guess the dia of the valve shrank (hole in coil) is 3/8" - or just about some 10.5mm.

Is the coil rated at 5-8Watts ? (as this is standard for such coils as above)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:96.119.952 ELECTRO VALVE

Same part all models. Price tag Dkr 677.45 (ex vat)
Thats some UK£60 - not too bad ?
Hi Anders,

If I could get it at that price it would be bearable, however in NZ new Citroen parts are approximately 2-3 times the price of parts in the UK :(

(Just as one example - quoted price for new front spheres (each) for my car $187NZ excluding tax = approx £70, compared to GSF at £23)
BTW : from Bernies pictures above the electrovalve coil looks very much like a standard coil for any electrovalve foun in washing machines, oil burners, fuel or water feed controlling valves etc etc. My guess the dia of the valve shrank (hole in coil) is 3/8" - or just about some 10.5mm.

Is the coil rated at 5-8Watts ? (as this is standard for such coils as above)
Yes it would be approx 10mm. The wattage rating is fairly low. The resistance is 4.7 ohms, and it can't stand full 12 volts for any period of time without overheating even though 12 volts is needed to activate it, so it is pulsed at 12 volts for half a second, then PWM to an average value of about 2.7 volts, so about 1.5 watt continous dissapation.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I would be glad to buy one from Citroen Portugal and send it to you by post.

I can manage 25% discount on usual prices, but the price here is a very high 170 Euro...(including tax).

Should I look for one at a scrappy? Is it from the front or the rear? Or does the "plain" HA2 (no ACTIVA) only have one?
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Rostami wrote:I would be glad to buy one from Citroen Portugal and send it to you by post.

I can manage 25% discount on usual prices, but the price here is a very high 170 Euro...(including tax).
Hi Rostami,

Thats very generous of you to offer, however it looks like you pay much higher prices for Citroen parts than the UK just like we do :( The NZ dollar is also not very favourable to the Euro so by the time it got over here it would probably cost the same or more as buying it locally. (Assuming it was available)
Should I look for one at a scrappy? Is it from the front or the rear? Or does the "plain" HA2 (no ACTIVA) only have one?
A Hydractive 2 model has two Hydractive control blocks each with an electrovalve - one at the front and one at the back.

Front and rear units are 100% identical and interchangable.

The Activa has a third control block and electrovalve at the rear to control the Activa rollbar sphere - the control block looks the same as the Hydractive 2 unit, but internally it is different. The electrovalve *may* be the same, but I wouldn't rely on it being true.

If you have a nearby scrappy that you could query to see if there are any available and approximate cost that would be helpful, yes...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

I can get one from the scrappy but not sure the cost and shipment. Perhaps shipment is cheaper as Malaysia is nearer to NZ.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

JohnCKL wrote:I can get one from the scrappy but not sure the cost and shipment. Perhaps shipment is cheaper as Malaysia is nearer to NZ.
Hi John,

Thanks for the offer. I should have posted an update to this thread as since the original post I have found one in New Zealand after all, so assuming it doesn't leak like the original one (I havn't seen or tested it yet, and it is second hand) I should be ok. But thanks anyway :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400