For those with XUD / XUDT that smoke in the morning.......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

For those with XUD / XUDT that smoke in the morning.......

Post by 8304 »

hi

there have been loads of posts on here about psa diesels smoking on first start - up in the morning generaly considered to be as a result of air in the fuel line....

Ive changed all leak off pipes and all fuel pipe under the bonnet leaving the metal pipe under the car as the last suspect place for letting air in.

i changed the metal under car fuel pipe yesterday with one from citroen (£18 ) . It will be interesting to see if it is cured this morning. if it stops mine smoking - try it on yours!! :D

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

there was a small crack in the metal pipe where it runs up the bulkhead.

the pipe has been changed now and there is a definate improvement but its not perfect.

i now suspect the fuel filter housing - or the seal in the top.

im going to fit a standard inline fuel filter like on a petrol to see if there is any improvement, bypassing the big diesel fuel filter..

ill let you know..
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Dont leave the proper filter out for to long, its essential that the pump has clean fuel. If you replace the section of pipe, or part of, between the filter and the pump, with a clear piece, you will be able to see any air bubbles. Pleased to hear that you have found some elusive leaks. I dont expect you will stop it initially smoking completely, unless the engine is in almost new condition. In this cold weather you will get incomplete combustion until the combustion chambers warm up, which may take a few seconds to a minute
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you have the black plastic fuel filter remember there is a heater in the bottom and this si controlled by a thermostat which is a round device in the filter body. This thermostat can leak and let air into the filter. . .

There are instructions on dealing with this problem on this board somewhere
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

jeremy wrote:If you have the black plastic fuel filter remember there is a heater in the bottom and this si controlled by a thermostat which is a round device in the filter body. This thermostat can leak and let air into the filter. . .
Thermostat?

I know that the fuel filter sits on top of the thermostat housing (i.e. the water / cooling system thermostat), I've had a filter apart but never seen a thermostat or a heater apart from the fact that the filter sits on the thermostat housing. There is a sensor in the bottom of the housing too that is there to detect water in your fuel, is there a separate fuel thermostat too?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The question of the thermostat in the filter unit came up several times towards the end of last year - and I recall someone even posted some photos . The only reference I can find now is:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17271
jeremy
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

the coolant will heat the diesel and not cool it,there is a valve inside which directs fuel through heater to warm diesel when very cold ,as engine warms this closes and diverts diesel not near heater as no longer required.hdi has electric diesel heater in fuel filter and also a fuel cooler on the return.
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

The fuel cooler seems a little pointless. It will soon cool down when it travels down the fuel line and into the tank.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

when fuel is put under extreme pressure the tempreture will rise as well,hdi runs at high pressure to a max of 1350 bar fuel pressure,unwanted fuel that is returned to the tank can reach near on 60 degrees this has to be cooled ,if you only have 10 liters of fuel in tank and no cooler by the time it has been pumped round the system a few times its going to get bloody hot
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

1350 bars ? :shock: :shock: or 1350psi ?

1350 bars seems almost unbelievably high when you compare it to the 170 bars (2400psi) used in the hydraulic system in the suspension :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

1350 bar - on the first generation. Second generation is 1600 bar.

:shock: Indeed!
Richard W
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I confirm that the injection pressures used on HDi engines is enormous and many times that used on meachanical systems. The pressure of the mechanical systems had been increased gently over the years presumably in the interests of better atomisation and no doubt is part of the reason that black-smoking diesels are relatively uncommon except for 4 X 4's around London.

Presumably the use of electric pumps and injectors has enabled higher pressure to be used.
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When Volkswagen was banging on about the PD system they were saying that it had a major advantage was that the pressure it used was higher than common rail systems. At the time common rail systems were only running at 20000 psi (1350 bar) where as the common rail system could run at one and a half times that pressure, i.e. 30000 psi (2000 bar). So it seems like things have moved along but the newest common rail systems only run at 24000 psi (1600 bar)!

I think that the mechanical pumps on the TD engines would inject at something like 100-200 bar. The limiting factor here would seem to be the injector pipes, when you subject them to great pressure, they stretch and expand so your not all of the pressure you produce at the pump reaches the injector. The pipes get hammered too, constantly being pressurised and depressurised so they can and do suffer from metal fatigue. PD got rid of the injector pipes and common rail got rid of the pressurisation / depressurisation and pressure loss problems on the injector pipes because the common rail is at a near constant pressure.