1994 ZX Volcane TD HEATER BLOWER not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gnerk
My Cars:

1994 ZX Volcane TD HEATER BLOWER not working

Post by Gnerk »

Hi all,

My first post. Done a quick search, and nothing answering my question - but sorry if I just haven't looked hard enough.

Bought a Citroen ZX Volcane TD last month - sold with a non-working heater blower motor. I was an idiot and assumed at purchase that the fan motor was faulty. Bought another on eBay for £18 and fitted it - no dice. Now checked original motor and seems to be fine.

The precise fault is that the blower does not work at all.

Have checked out the blower resistor thinking that there might be a common line that could kill all blower speeds. Doesn't seem faulty (all four resisters give a resistance < infinte...). ALSO thought I'd sorted the problem by bridging the multiplug with a wire (to get at least full speed) since I could find the earth with the multimeter but still no good - then rechecked with multimeter and couldn't get an earth, or live from the plug with the switch in a few positions. Possible duff connections? Is there a common fault on the ZX that meets this description?

My next move was to pull out the radio and see if I could work the plug off the back of heater blower switch and check the connections. Anyone know if this is possible (before I spend ages trying to do it)?

The other fault I wanted to mention is a water leak. Looks like the water pump (small [confirmed] water drip from that area of the engine). Are there any other areas that can leak and give a false impression of the water pump (core plugs? location?)? Also, is it worth a water pump gasket change rather than a new water pump (this could be stupid question, but have never changed a water pump before...)?

Last thing. Car is mid 1994 manufacture - anyone know how I work out the 'Rp' (or whatever it is) number for parts?

Thanks very much in advance!

GNERK
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Blower problem

Post by KennyW »

There are plenty on this subject it would appear to be a problem with the beloved Citroens.

The moderates will direct you to the right threads

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Gnerk, and welcome to our world. :) First, would you please put the full details of your car at the foot of your page, this is done in your profile settings and saves a lot of time..

1994 was a changeover year for the ZX, is it the slot fronted one? or does it have a small grill on the front? any ECU? airbag? :?

I'm afraid i can't answer your question, elecs are alien to me lol.. But identifying the exact model will help those who do answer you.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I've not heard of your blower problem before. The resistors often fail, usually because the fan is stiffening up, and doesn't like the low speeds. I don't think you should get infinite resistance on all 4 though.

Have you checked the fuse? Fuse F1 is for the blower, and a load of other stuff you wouldn't miss (rarely fitted in the UK, except electric mirrors).

As far as the water pump goes, the leak is usually from the pump spindle, not the gasket. Change both though! The pumps are around £30. Of course, you'll want to change the timing belt when you're at it!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The resistor has a 170ºC thermal fuse that blows:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

agree with the resistor, mine went shortly after buying it.
Best bet is to access it from the scuttle panel, you should be able to change it without ripping half the car to bits, I did mine by removing the blower & opening the flap, and reaching right up inside the ducting while someone else twist-locked it into place.

Prob not the easyest way of doing it but it worked for me! lol
Gnerk
My Cars:

Post by Gnerk »

Thanks to all for your responses.

First off to Kenny W: car is an 1994 L reg model. It has a solid section under the front citroen badge - I think the facelift models had an open grill under the same. Its the old non-ECU XUD diesel engine (did they do a ECU engine in the ZX?), no air bag. Car is fitted with PAS, but no ABS. Its a turbo D Volcane model that has been 'modified' with 15" alloys (ex-Peugeot) and 195/55 tyres (so same as 16v model). It has a cloth interior and black paint, and as I'm starting to take the mickey now I'll stop :wink:

In any case, I will update my signature with the more sensible stuff above - thanks for the advice.

Sl4yer: Thanks for the info about the water pump. Didn't know it was the spindle that tended to leak (haven't changed one before). Am planning on enlisting my father (who has changed a number of 405 cam belts) for help on a timing belt change towards end March, so will change the pump then.

Clogz & Rossnunn: ripped open the dash this afternoon and checked out the switch wiring. Found a good earth on the switch multiplug - so HAS to be the resistor regardless of my earlier findings. The thermal fuse sounds like a likely culprit. Might attempt to prove my shorting across the fuse if I can get a wire down there without getting my hands too dirty. Otherwise, will get another from Eurocarparts and fit for the £5 it'll cost me. Have to go back in anyway, since I forgot to refit the little black plastic grill over the blower air intake last weekend (real D'OH moment when I realised).

Will post again if this fixes the problem.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

tbh dude just get a new one. 8)
Gnerk
My Cars:

Post by Gnerk »

Oh come on. Don't you like the smell of burning plastic as you pull 480A thru an unfused wire intended take five...?

Nah - you're right. Jus buy the new resistor thingy.