screaching brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham593192

screaching brakes

Post by graham593192 »

My rear brakes have recently started srcreaching rather a lot when I drive. They do it without me using the brakes

The seam to do it usually when I reverse or go round a tight corner and do it more so when I have some load in the back.

any solutions please
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: screaching brakes

Post by Kowalski »

graham593192 wrote:My rear brakes have recently started srcreaching rather a lot when I drive. They do it without me using the brakes

The seam to do it usually when I reverse or go round a tight corner and do it more so when I have some load in the back.

any solutions please
This sounds like the classic and common rear brake fault that Xantias get.

Is your car a Xantia? If not, don't bother reading any further.

If it is, the cause of the fault could be corrosion between the rear brake calipers and the rear suspension arm. This corrosion gets underneath the caliper and will tend to push it away from the suspension arm. The corrosion is never perfect so the caliper is pushed away at an angle so its not flat against the suspension arm, this is what causes the noise. You'll get more noise with more weight in the back because the brakes respond to the load on the back axle, i.e. more load, more brakes.

What you need to do (or have done) is to remove the rear brake pads then stick the small bolt back through the caliper and tighten it up (this stops the two halves of the caliper from separating). Remove the two larger bolts that secure the caliper to the suspension arm, the caliper should now be free move and you can scrape the corrosion off the back of it and off where it mates to the suspension arm. I wire brush or some sort of metal scraper is best for this, I'd try to avoid anything that will leave either caliper or arm surface rough. After cleaning, a light coating of grease will help keep the wet out. Once its cleaned and greased put it back together and it should be quieter...

If you haven't got a Xantia, forget all of the above!
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

thanks for the info. I sujspected it was some sort of corrision around the calliper.