FAO Wheeler

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

FAO Wheeler

Post by rossnunn »

Do you know (or anyone else reading this) which pin on a Xasra speedo head goes to the immobiliser warning light & which goes to the buzzer? Also is the immob warning light a bulb or a led?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if it's a non multiplexed mk1 xsara then its pin 8 of the 26 pin blue connector on the instrument panel that is earthed by the CPH to control the transponder warning lamp.cant remember off hand if its a bulb or LED but i reckon a mk1 is a bulb,theres only one way to find out though.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

thats v true, thanks wheeler I'll go play

*EDIT*

Ooooh before I forget, does the CPH unit & key use a rolling code system? And can they get out of sync? If so how do you put them back again.

I ask as I got the car started, started to tidy the wiring up, now it doesn't start. I've undone everything & checked all the wiring & that seems fine. I'm getting lives & earths in all the right places but she won't start captin.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i wouldnt class it as a rolling code system.
how many keys for the car do you have ? is the key light staying on/flashing fast when the ignition is turned on ? it is possible for the keys to loose their coding but the other keys (if you have any) should still work.the only way to reprogram the key is with a Lexia or proxia computer.if the light is flashing with the ignition on & its the same for all keys then i would suspect the transponder aerial on the ignition barrel.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

hi wheeler I only have one key & it doesn't have a LED.
According to the data I have collated, there is 3 wires that go from the CPH unit to the box, I get one wire that I can't read anything from, the second I get a constent 11.5~12v the third I get a reading when the key isn't in the coil & the engine starts, & when they key is in the coil & the engine turns over it dissaperes, the voltage is so slight my I've had to turn my meter right down to read it.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

rossnunn wrote: it doesn't have a LED.
could you hook one up to it temporarily ?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

to the fob? no chance lol I'm pretty sure the CPH is seeing the key as I get some clicks from it when I push the top button.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

no sorry,when i say key light dont mean the LED in the plip,i mean the warning Led (or bulb) with the picture of a key in the instrument panel.the operation of the plip has nothing to do with the imobiliser anyway.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

aaaah now thats useful so the buttons on they key do nothing on the immobiliser side, so the clicking is probably the centeral locking relays.
I was thinking of hooking a led up but not knowing if it was a bulb or led I don't want to start blowing things up so I thought the best & safest way would be to use a meter.
Basicly what I'm trying to find out is why the car started one minuite & not the next, even though I'm getting all the right stuff on all the right wires. I first thought that it was a broken wire but after some testing with the meter while moving the loom about I'm happy its not.
I assume its doesn't really matter which direction the key is facing when its in the coil, as long as its blade is forward 'into' the coil housing? & that it doesn't matter if the CPH unit is either layed flat or stood upright, as the realys & bits should all be soild state?
I'll look up what I'm getting cossing the data you've provided with that of the CPH unit, that should tell me what I 'should' expect to get from the meter. Cheers
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

right I've got it started, not too sure what I've done but its running.
I know what with the keypad immobilisers, if you disconnect the pad while the engine is running it disables it, is there a similar thing you can do with the transponder viersion?
Also if it is possable, is it permanant or will it reset when the batterys disconnected??

Cheers

Ro
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

rossnunn wrote: I know what with the keypad immobilisers, if you disconnect the pad while the engine is running it disables it, is there a similar thing you can do with the transponder viersion?
Also if it is possable, is it permanant or will it reset when the batterys disconnected??
ineresting thought,on saxos it can be done by disconecting the transponder imobiliser control box while the engine is running,it keeps the ECU unlocked permanantly as it cant comunicate with the imobiliser (the same as it does with a xantia keypad) problem on a xsara is the CPH controls loads of other things so disconecting it will loose the locking etc.i assume on your ZX all it does is the imobiliser so there would be no problem with trying it.again,the same as with the xantia keypad it should stay permanantly unlocked even if the battery is disconected.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Right so do I disconnect both plugs or just the yellow?
Is there a chance of killing anything??
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

whatdoyarekon?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

right took a major brave pill today & unplugged both the yellow & black plugs from the CPH unit and....

....It worked! the engine now starts without the need for the key or the box. I have unplugged the battery & left it for about 30mins & tryed it again & it also started. I am now going to try leaving the battery off for a couple of hours & try again.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

right left it over night and bingo works fine.
The car now really has a nasty cough, that has got worse, to the extent that this evening it wouldn't tickover & while cranking it backfired. I'm hoping its just a fueling problem as I haven't got the power connected to the lambor, I'll get another look at it Tuesday