Smokey Joe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walcit

Smokey Joe

Post by walcit »

My recent purchase, a 1994 1.9d lx Xantia, is a little smokey and lumpy on start up. I've searched the old threads, but Im still not sure. I've replaced the glow plugs (checked them before putting in), leak off pipes, serviced it, put some injector cleaner in it, etc. The car starts on the button, after the glow plug light goes out. But its very lumpy, and there is a load of smoke that engulfs the car (embarrasing). After about 20 secs, the car runs fine, and there doesnt seem to be any smoke. It only happens if the car is cold, or left over night. It does seem only to be lumpy when the car is rising, and leveling after being left over night (no idea if this has anything to do with it - doubt it though, since reving the car doesnt make it less lumpy). But again, if you wait around 20 secs the car is then smooth. Also I can probably rule out injectors since the car runs fine otherwise?!
Any suggestions would be helpful.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Smoke

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi walcit.

What colour smoke is your car producing ?
walcit

Post by walcit »

seems to be white more than anything :roll:
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Smoke

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well if it were blue/grey smoke, it could indicate that your car could be burning oil.
It could be the valve stem seals. I had a similar problem with a different make of car on initial start up. It turned out that the valve stem seals had gone harder with age. Therefore when the engine was stopped, and the oil drained back to the sump, some very small amount would leak by the seals.

So when started if the car had been parked overnight, the car produced blue/grey smoke a bit until the smoke cleared, shortly afterwards.

Is your car using oil ?
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 27 Feb 2006, 12:23, edited 3 times in total.
walcit

Post by walcit »

Dont know yet...havent had it that long!! I'll have to check soon. Any other suggestions?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

How long have you had the car ?

Also how many miles has the car on the mileometer ?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

White smoke + lumpy when cold, indicates low compression, assuming all the glow plugs are OK. The white smoke is unburnt fuel due to the compression not being high enough to ignight it. Could be to general bore/piston wear or could be that the valve clearances are tight or non existant. If it goes OK once warm, I would leave it alone.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

White smoke is indeed unburnt atomised fuel and can be produced is you deliberately don't start the car properly - for example by not heating after its run for a minute or 2.

It can happen when there's air in the fuel - probably due to late injection due to the air in the injector feed pipes taking time to compress.

I'd start by making sure there's no air getting in the fuel. If its a Bosch injection pump - check the leakoff pipes - don't bither with a Roto-diesel as they just leak and smell but are otherwise unnaffected. Then check all pipes, clipping any that seem loose, filters etc.

Replacing the last section of fuel feed pipe to the pump with clear pipe can be helpful in tracing leaks. As the feed pipes are under suction air gets in and fuel doesn't get out.

Its worth pumping the hand primer till its hard and seeing if their is any difference - if there is its a sure sign of air.
jeremy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I thought burning oil produced a blueish smoke and unburnt diesel produced white smoke. They inject diesel into the exhaust on biplanes at air shows to give the white smoke trail.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

It's not running on veg oil is it? :) Too much veg and a cold morning will have the thing smoking until warm. I agree that it's probably unburnt fuel. Are the revs low - you could also check the coldstart device is working properly.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Smoke Colour

Post by ACTIVE8 »

BonceChops wrote:I thought burning oil produced a blueish smoke and unburnt diesel produced white smoke. They inject diesel into the exhaust on biplanes at air shows to give the white smoke trail.
Yes, you are indeed correct, and I accept that I replied previously while multi-tasking, and in my hurry to reply made an incorrect statement. :oops: DER !!! :oops:

So to clear it up :-

* Black smoke-----Over fueling burnt fuel

* Blue/Grey smoke-----Burnt oil

* White smoke-----Unburnt atomised diesel

I will now edit that previous post so that the facts are correct.
walcit

Post by walcit »

Tried using the hand primer this morning before starting - it made no difference. Does this show that it's not air?

The car has done 135,000mls and it goes really well after around 30 secs. Its just the smoke and lumpy thing - its really bad when starting from cold. The lumpyness doesnt go straight away - it seems to stay for longer than the smoke - it seems to to miss now and again - but only, say, for a minute after starting. Could I have dodgy injectors? Or just a knackered engine? :roll: :evil:
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Try running the glowplugs 3 or 4 times before starting the engine.

Does this help? if so, then you have low compression, and the extra pre-heating is compensating for it. As Peter says above, if that's the only thing wrong, then ignore it.
This is not a signature.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is it a random misfiring or one cylinder? - if its one it may suggest a tight valve - which seals when the head expands - ie shortly after starting. I would expect this to show up as uneven cranking on the starter - ie operate the fuel stop lever on the pump then crank the engine and listen.

Have you got a Bosch or Roto-diesel pump? Is the cold start waxstat device working? This device is in the side of the thermostat housing and has a bowden cable leading to the injection pump. The cable lengthens when the engine warms up - and operated an electrical switch and then a timing advance on a Roto-diesel pump and some device on a Bosch. Both are intended to provide a fast idle and clean exhaust on startup. The device costs about £18 from Citroen or did about 4 years ago.
jeremy
walcit

Post by walcit »

The pump in the car is the non bosch one. I tried starting it this morning by letting the glowplugs on 4 times before cranking. It made no difference. Smoke everywhere, and it sounded really rough. On startup, the engine makes a rattling, tingling noise. When this noise stops - the smoke stops and the lumpyness stops. Could the timing be out? Although it runs like a dream once warm. It must be a compression issue. Is there something that I can do without taking the engine to bits? Could I do something if I just took the rocker cover off? Is there any additive that I can put into the engine, or a thicker oil? any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks :wink: