Poor fuel economy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Poor fuel economy

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all,
My Xantia 1993 TDSX is only returning about 32-34 mpg, It flew through its mot in December, megga low emmisions. I have checked to see if there are any cracks in or damaged fuel pipes but they seem ok. The fuel filter is new(ish), It hasn't had a new timing belt so the timing should be ok. I am going to put some fuel cleaner in the tank today. My thoughts are that the injectors my be on their way out, but, wouldn't that knock up the emisions?

Any Ideas??? :?

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Lighten your right foot 8)

I'd check that the rear brakes are not suffering from corrosion, causing the calipers to drag on the discs. Bung some injector cleaner in it, and give it a good work out. These 1.9 TD engines do seem to like being worked to keep them loosened up, and you drive them too gently they get 'gummed' up. The one I have now just feels like it is getting into its stride - after I've put 27k miles on it in 14 months (53 - 80). ISTR my previous one took about 20+k to get it loosened up properly as well!

I was just clearing my exhaust out, officer. Honest. :twisted:
Richard W
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If the injectors were shot, it'd be smokey and they tend to get very gradually worse rather than suddenly, and If one of them had failed since the test and stuck open the smoke would be horrendous.

I'd check the usual suspects- tyre pressures and binding brakes,injector leak-off pipes, and keep the aircon switched off if its got it.

Not got roof bars or a permanantly attached roof box have you, or lugging heavy weights around in the car??
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with all the previous contributors comments, but fuel consumption is not only governed by how you drive but where. You should be getting around 40 mpg with mixed driving, but if you are in traffic all the time or have a heavy right foot you could considerably ruduce that. The weight of your left foot is also a contributry factor, every time you brake you are consuming a lot of the energy that the engine has just provided.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does it start properly - ie heat till the light goes out, then fire first or second revolution - and continue to run at a fast idle (950 revs dropping back to 750 when hot) Starting and initial running should be feet off.

Does it sound normal - ie quite loud when it starts then quietening when it warms up?

When did you last change the air cleaner?

Its not automatic is it?
jeremy