zx td 94

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

zx td 94

Post by 8304 »

hi everybody...

just been thinking, i know that mechanical injection diesels dont have fuel pump as such but what lifts the fuel from the tank, am i correct in assuming thereis a lift pump in the diesel pump?? mine has the bosch type pump...

also, i have ordered a new supply fuel line for my zx to see if that cures the suspected air leak which is making the car run poorly on start up. ill keep you posted.......

cheers

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

The fuel lift pump is built into the Injector Pump.

I have read somewhere, that someone with Bosch Fuel/Starting problems, fitted an additional cartridge/cannister type filter above the highest part of the fuel system ie:- injectors. This giving a head of fuel and any air would collect in the fiter not the pipes and keep the injector pump full of fuel. I think it was on the Old Forum with an Xantia, worth a search ??

Before any further suggestions are made, you did not reply to what Anders or myself suggest you try, to see if any effects where made when running from start-up "rough running and white smoke etc."
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

sooty wrote:

"Before any further suggestions are made, you did not reply to what Anders or myself suggest you try, to see if any effects where made when running from start-up "rough running and white smoke etc."

are you asking if the car runs roughly and produces white smoke? if so yes it does....(when cold)

the car generaly starts on the button like really quikly probably the second spin of the engine, it will then run fine for about 5 seconds and then go lumpy - i think that it the five seconds of smooth running the engine is suking air in from the fuel line - i think the engine is starting on the fuel left in the fuel pump as it did when i did the engine change on the car and started it without the fuel lines connected just to see if it would.

anyway ill let you know if changing the pipe changes anything....

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

'On the button'? you must be nearly as old as me.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If the leakoff pipes are defective - ie hard or cracked you will have air getting into your Bosch pump - Roto-diesels just leak and smell.
jeremy
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Jeremy,

If you look at Alastair's previous topics about his problems with the fuel system. He has changed the leak off pipes, heater plugs and others. :?
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think Alistair's problems have been going on for so long now that his new leakoff pipes may have passed their sell-by date as well!
jeremy