zx TD radiator issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zx&xantia

zx TD radiator issues

Post by zx&xantia »

Good morning

I have a leak from the small pipe going into the radiator on the offside of the car (near the power steering pump). It seems that the pipe is attached to a plastic adapter that pushes into the side of the radiator, on which i assume there is a seal.

My first thought was to change the o ring seal between the plastic pipe and the radiator, but i don't know if it is loose due to some other problem rather than a worn seal.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in this area? I don't want to pull this pipe out to change the seal & then still have a leak because the interlock between this pipe and the radiator is actually the faulty part.

As always any insight / past experience welcome!

mark
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Hi.... Sounds like it is the seal but the plastic interconnector is also a bit prone.You need to drain the system and have a good look.Diesels and water problems are not good friends so you need to sort this very quickly.

You will need to get the spares from the main stealers as GSF dont stock these.

£20 + Vat for new hose and .90p for new O-ring don't forget to put a bit of grease on the ring before you fit it and make sure the hose twists sound into the radiator.There are a few storys where the hose's have popped off down the road !

Hope this helps.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

More info needed? There are 3 pipes connected to the the rad at that point I think? The larger has the clip you mentioned, but it may not be that pipe that is leaking. Can you check to make sure where exactly the leak is coming from.. Taa.. That will make diagnosis a lot easier.. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
zx&xantia

Post by zx&xantia »

Good morning!

The pipe in question is the radiator bypass pipe, which pops into the radiator using a plastic interlock connector. I assume that this has an o ring to make the seal (a part that isn't shown on the citroen parts schematic!).

The interlock looks ok, possibly a little loose which may be caused by a perished o-ring? Anyway, once i can get the nice citroen people to find the part on the computer i'll buy a new o-ring and try and stop the leak.

On the plus side, first drive today after replacing: power steering pump, rear drums, rear wheel bearings, rear brake shoes...(all failed at the same time :cry: ) At the moment all seems to be holding together

Now all i need to sort out is the terribly stiff throttle?

Mark
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

When you fit the new O-ring the plastic interconnector will still be a tad loose this is normal....Just make sure its twisted in and sound ( Give it a little tug)
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

When Stewart (oilyspanner) and I changed the rad on a ZX Aura, the new "O" ring was impossible to get in! it was thicker than the old one so we had to re-fit the old one, luckily it was undamaged so it worked fine.. :D

My pet mechanic advised me that the big bottom pipe has a nasty habit of 'popping back off' after a few days if its not securely located.. So make sure its well and truly on before you go on any long trips. :?
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.