ZX Starting Issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ci_newman
My Cars:

ZX Starting Issues

Post by ci_newman »

Hmm where to start..

Back in december, my ZX Volcane 1.9i threw a head gasket and as such got sent to my garage for punishment whilst I got hold of another to use as a daily driver. Now, the time has come to either a) fix it, or b) strip it for parts.. Im all for fixing it as it was a lovely car to drive with only 80k miles on the clock BUT before I go and do the headgasket, it has now developed an intermittent starter fault.

Basically, I turn the key over and get absolutely nothing other than the dash lights come up. Now I know the battery is fully charged and I can leave the car sitting for a few days, then all of a sudden when I turn the ignition it'll start straight away (eliminating the battery as a fault, as well as fuses etc). I never had this problem before the headgasket went, but ideally I need to know how much this is going to cost to fix before doing the head gasket.

Any ideas? Ive heard rumours around of other ZXs having similar symptoms but Ive never found out how to rectify it!

Cheers!

Chris
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have something similar with our ZX 1.9D. Its more complicated as someone has fitted an after market immobiliser into the starter circuit and I'm never quite sure if the problem is the immobilister of the 'Problem.'

Interestingly when it first did it I had the starter operated with the headlights on just to test the battery etc before I got stuck in. Much to my surprise when the starter was operated the lights got BRIGHTER. This is a diesel and is due to the glowplugs cutting out when the starter is operated.

If my wiroing diagram is correct (Haynes - and a similar one in an on line workshop manual) the fault lies in a 14 way connector which I think is the one through the inner wing inside a black electrical relay box by the battery. I took it to pieces (it looks like the ones in the door shuts and the cover unscrews) and there was indeed a slightly corroded terminal. I cleaned it all up and put it back together and all seemed better but not perfect.

When I tested it with a meter sometimes I thought it wouldn't work but was never quite sure and it worked nearly perfectly till this morning when I had to operate the key about 20 times to get it to respond.

So I've got to investigate further and at the moment am minded to run another wire from the starter switch directly to the starter and bypass the suspected plug.
jeremy
ci_newman
My Cars:

Post by ci_newman »

Rather than start a new thread, i'll add to this one;

My newer ZX has an interesting fault where when the car has been sitting for a few hours, it takes quite a few seconds on turn-over for the engine to catch. if its only been sitting a while it starts on the button, even if the engine was still cold... It doesnt happen 100% of the time though, ive had it start on the button on an icey morning after being sat for 24 hours..

Ive noticed some people mention on the forums that they have had issues where fuel has backed-up the line when sitting stationary. Ive been given an idea to find out whether this is the problem by fitting an in-line clear filter under the bonnet so I can see if the fuel is being supplied properly.

Other than this, has anyone got any ideas? Its not anything serious, but I dont want to find out its a symptom for something more serious and its a little embarrasing to be sitting trying to start a car when im going anywhere!

Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You don't state what your other ZX is but looking at your posts it seems to be a 2.0litre 8 valve obviously with fuel injection.

I don't think fuel will drop back - as there will be a high pressure electric pump pressurising the system to 36 psi or more. This will probably be controlled by a regulator at the end of the injector supply rail and the surplus will be returned to the tank.

The electric pump will run at startup and continue to run if the engine is running. It may be audible. Its probably under the back of the car near the tank with its filter next to it. Some only run when the starter is operated (for safety reasons)

It is possible that when the car stands when hot, fuel vaporises in the fuel line and while when the pump operates it achieves running pressure - in fact there is vapour at the engine end which takes a time to disperse as the injectors fire. I suppose you could test by letting the pressure out by disconnecting a pipe and then trying to start the engine. I suppose the sequence would be 1.try and start, 2, open circuit, 3, try again.

If vapour is a problem - and I had it on my XJ6 series 3 with fuel injection - it may be caused by a fuel pipe getting hot where it runs close to some part of the engine. Re-routing or insulation or a heat deflector may help.
jeremy
victor xt
My Cars:

Post by victor xt »

Hi, try changing the battery cable terminals, i replace them and problem solved, that was my starting issue on my zx

also look the post

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17373

cheers
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

sounds daft, but im not sure if you mean the starter isnt turning, or its turning and not firing. If its not turning, the likely culprit will be the ignition barrel, they are crap and fall to bits inside (or thats my perception of it) and require replacement. The contacts get dirty, sometimes they work sometimes they dont. One way of testing this... turn to the running position, and run a cable from the + on the battery, to the live feed for the solenoid on the starter, if it works, the ignition barrel is kerput, if it doesnt, id look at a new starter motor.