fluid resevoir

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seabrook
My Cars:

fluid resevoir

Post by seabrook »

the little lhm fluid indicator in the fluid resevoir tank does not move up and down when i raise or lower the car it is stuck in the top of the glass bubble any ideas how to rectify this or can anyone tell me where the level should be if i peer into the resevoir the car is a 95 1.9td xantia hatch.also i shall be replacing the front roll bar links but i would like to know if apart from the obvious knocking do worn links cause any other steering/suspension irregularities?thanks everyone
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I believe you have overfilled the reservoir. This will press the float up against the bulb.
Because the float is a minimum indicator - not really a level indicator.
With suspension set to highest (by you), engine idle, the float should indicate between the 2 red rings.

When the car is set fully low, then the fluid level should max be ½" from the edge - no higher.

It may start overflowing if overfilled. An oily mess on the driveway, but no functional consequences otherwise.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
seabrook
My Cars:

Post by seabrook »

i thought that but with the car at normal height and peering into the resevoir the fluid is just over half way up the resevoir nowhere near the top.thanx anyway
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If you check Anders reply more carefully you'll see he was talking about the level with the suspension set fully down.

The fluid level in the tank will be much higher with the suspension fully down than it is with the car at normal height, as all the oil from the system apart from the volume contained within the piping will return to the tank.

If the indicator says the level is too high when the suspension is fully up, then the level is too high, but bear in mind that the indicator is very fussy - the full travel of the indicator only corresponds to less than half a litre of oil, while the total oil in the system is 5.4 litres.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive