Gearbox-Xantia versus 405 any ideas?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

matt
My Cars:

Gearbox-Xantia versus 405 any ideas?

Post by matt »

My 405 is due for a new clutch and this got me thinking about my long standing niggle with the 405 box
It seems to me that the pug has a very tall 3rd (high ratio)gear and tends to bog down on hills and when towing etc although its excellent on slip roads!
And after driving a friend xantia the ratios seemed fine
So
Could i change it for the xantia box?
Would it fit?
Please dont say buy a xantia :D
92 205 1.9 GTI(MODIFIED,SORRY )
1996 VOLVO 850 2.5 5CYL 10V
1999 EXPERT VAN TD - WHITE !
No more car's thanks!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think that if it is the same engine it would fit, just check that the wheels are the same diameter or the final drive ratio might be different and your speedo will be out. You should somewhere, be able to find out what the ratios are, possibly on the net, that bit of research might help you to come to a decision.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

We have a 405 running around with a BX gearbox in it, and a Xantia with a 405 box too, they are all turbodeisels so the box will fit, sometimes there is a small difference in the way the linkages attach, citroens seem to use a balljoint type and some pugs have a rubber bush arrangement, the mechanical and electrical speedo drives are interchangeable too.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Peter.N. wrote:I would think that if it is the same engine it would fit, just check that the wheels are the same diameter or the final drive ratio might be different and your speedo will be out.
I think the speedo is taken off the differential anyway, so even if the final drive ratio is different it won't make a difference to your speedo.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Right, but if its got different size wheels and/or tyres it will.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The speedo drive actually measures the speed of the offside (long) driveshaft, so as long as the 405 retains it's original wheels, then you can have whatever gear/final drive ratios you like.

Which, having read it again, is probably what you already meant... although I initially read is as meaning "the wheels on the donor car have to be the same diameter as the wheels on the 405"

:oops:
This is not a signature.