ZX Heater Controls

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chemexhants
My Cars:

ZX Heater Controls

Post by chemexhants »

The control flaps on my ZX are not working. I have removed the centre console and the connection from the knob to the cable is fine and it appears that the cable is working as it should.

At the bottom of the console I found the part in the picture and suspect it is the cause of the fault. It doesn't appear to be broken.

Does anyone know what it is, and where it connects?

Stephen

[img][img]http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/3277/pict02132ai.th.jpg[/img][/img]
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

ive had my heater control apart before and that is one of the parts that lives in there. :roll:

one of the dials has a kind of second stage to it, as in when you turn it al the way around a second wheel thingy is engaged and pulls on the cable again - i cant quite remember which dial it was and how it works but im planning to take it all aprt tommoro to change some of the bulbs so i will have a look and post my findings!!.... 8)

but one thing is for sure that part is somthing to do with the control box for the heater and if it was lying in the bottom of the consol that is probably why it isnt working... :D
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think its the fan speed control that has a shut off position - look at the dial and it goes a long way back beyond 1st speed before the pointer reaches Zero - well at least ours does though the book says they are equally spaced.

This would fit with your heater not working and the piece you have found.
jeremy
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

*thinks back to when i did a "bulb run" on my zx*

i think 8304's more down the right line, if im right its teeth engage to the dial for where your shooting the air be it w/screen, feet or face. as the hole in the flat face i seem to remember allows a slightly similar piece but with the "male" end to that to slot through as 8304 describes
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The part is broken :roll:

The slightly bend hooked end should be a straight leg to form an insertion snap lock. Obviously the reason why this part was found outside the heater.

Its a visit to a breakers - and then a time waster on the strategy to get the part out not breaking it up like its mate shown here :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Anders

Thanks to you and everyone else who has replied.

Other replies suggest the part comes from the control panel, whereas you say it's from the heater. If it is from the heater does this require a full dash removal in order to replace the entire heater, or can it be done via the footwells?

Stephen
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I've digged a bit further in to this part.

It looks like one of the control panel axles - where one of the control knobs fits on. The star shaped profile of the axle tells me its a Valeo control unit. The hooked end then appears to keep the control knob snaplocked on.
The Behr units uses round axles with a flat to fix the control knobs.

The part is NOT SHOWN AVAILABLE seaparately in the parts list. You must purchase the complete control plate unit.

NOTE : The parts are different for A/C or not. As you dont mention you have A/C - it would be the non A/C (standard) Valeo control plate :
6451.AG - CONTROL PLATE. Price approx 60quid (+vat).
Ref drawing : 0281 06 642810 HEATER CONTROL SANS REFRIGERATION
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Found the location of the faulty part and relocated it! It came from one of the heater housing control arms. For anyone else who should have the misfortune of this, the method of accessing the arm is:-

1) Remove the radio and entire centre console as described in Haynes (and on this Forum).

2) Remove the fuse panel cover and the flexible (corrugated) part of the ventilation duct.

3) In the centre of the dashboard (behind the heater controls) slide the right hand section of ventilation ducting towards the fuse panel.

4) Trace the control cable as it passes to the left of the control panel. Follow it to the point where it is attached to a control lever on the heater housing.

The part shown clips alongside, and is guided by, the remaining control arm. :D