Xsara HDI Automatic - problems? advice needed!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rabenson
My Cars:

Xsara HDI Automatic - problems? advice needed!

Post by rabenson »

Hi All,

I'm looking for something to replace my zx when it becomes long in the tooth and have decided to start a bit of research. The Xsara HDI seems a logical replacement and I quite fancy the idea of an auto gearbox for a change. (have to commute in heavy traffic)

Looking on honestjohn, however, I found a thread indicating problems with this gearbox / engine combination.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post?t=22601

It appears that it may have been sorted. Anyone any experience of the HDI auto Xsara? should I think again? all advice welcome as I am a total auto newbie. :oops:

Thanks

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its free (+ spam free at your choise) to register at yahoo. Then you can join the discussion group and read all details from owners there. I recommand you do that if you are serious on that Xsara model.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Thanks Anders,

I've joined the Yahoo list and the autobox seems decidedly dodgy. maybe I'll just put up with the stick and clutch approach.....

Thanks again

Ron
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Ron. Don't just give up because that particular engine-gearbox partnership was a disaster. I have had auto's all my life and never had any trouble with any of them. The problem has always been cost related, petrol engine + auto box = low mpg.. :cry:

Forget the Xsara. :( Buy another ZX but get an automatic 1.9D. If you maintain it well it will run for many years yet..

If you want to get from A to B regularly, reliably, stress free, in comfort, in a car that handles all conditions extremely well, and at a reasonable cost, then nothing compares to a ZX 1.9D. The Aura is probaly the best one to go for as its slightly better equiped, but you can always do as I did and upgrade an Avantage.. :D :D :D

All things considered, I don't think anyone makes a better diesel automatic at the moment.. :? Hopefully, at some future date, someone will start making a car that compares.... :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Thanks, James

I would certainly consider an automatic ZX but good, low mileage manual examples are getting difficult to find so I would imagine that a good automatic specimen will be rare.

I thought of the Xsara, as the replacement for the ZX, would have built on the good aspects of this excellent car and the HDI engine gives a real performance boost. Shame about the autobox problems. :(

Thanks again for your advice and I'll certainly keep my eyes open for one!

Cheers,

Ron
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeh, I don't know if its the same gearbox thats mated to the 2.0 16v petrol thats in the Xantia. But that box is fine, we've had ours probably a year & a half & not had any problems, the Xantia is now up to about 130odd Thousand miles & its had one gearbox replacement in that time, while it was still under warranty.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Ron, oddly enough most auto ZX's are low mileage. I thinks it's due to the fact that most have been owned by disabled people who tend not only to do low mileages, but they also seem to look after their cars well :)

My own car is a good example of that. It was pristine when I bought it. :D Similarly, the ZX Aura that jean bought was reg disabled for tax, low milage, and in lovely condition..

I think most problems with todays automatic cars are caused by poor computer programes, and micky-mouse wiring, rather than mechanical faults... :(
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Too Right - seems to me that just because a computer can be used, then it will be used. there's a lot to be said for "tractor technology" a la 1.9d engine!

Ron
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k