Upper engine mount

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Upper engine mount

Post by oscarloco »

Hi folks

My ZX's upper engine mount has packed up. It has started making a small clunk when I accelerate / deccelerate fast. I don't know what consequences can this have if I leave it like that or do I have to replace it ASAP?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its only a small 'clunk' it shouldn't do much damage, apart from, to your nerves, if your anything like me. Providing its still holding the engine in position, you could probably quite safely leave it until the warmer weather. Its only actually a stabiliser, most of the weight is taken by the bottom ones.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Warmer weather - in Guatemala? I wonder when it's cold down there!

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

bottom engine mounts taking most of the weight on a zx?? i dont think so.....

i hate to antagonise but i thought the only way it was ever done on a zx was with a top gearbox mount and a top engine mount which both take all of the weight and then a lower mount off the subframe which is a doughnut type of thing which takes no weight but stops the engine and gearbox swinging backwards and forwards as you come on and off the power....

but never the less the outcome is still the same - its not dangerous but you will probably get bored of the extra noise and vibration when it gradualy gets worse :roll:
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You are quite right 8304, I didn't have my thinking head on when I said that, the other mounting is near the centre, so it does take some weight. I have change enough XUD cam belts that I should have remembered that the engine almost sits on the chassis with that mount off. Sorry :oops:
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

NiSk wrote:Warmer weather - in Guatemala? I wonder when it's cold down there!

//NiSk
Well it does get cold down here, relatively speaking. Last week during a cold front, temperature in the city dropped to 6 Celsius. And in the highlands, it got to -3 Celsius!

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys :)
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

dont worry about it peter.N. we all have a fuuny five mins every one in a while, see some of my posts on the attached thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=18035

vsx turbo d - hen's teeth???

i thought hens teeth were some type of part on a xantia, not a metaphor for somthing being rare / non-existant!!!! :oops:

cheers

alastair
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Re: Upper engine mount

Post by Kowalski »

oscarloco wrote:Hi folks

My ZX's upper engine mount has packed up. It has started making a small clunk when I accelerate / deccelerate fast. I don't know what consequences can this have if I leave it like that or do I have to replace it ASAP?
Are you sure its the top engine mount?

If they're the same as the Xantia's top mount, I can't see how the mount failing would cause clunking. They have a second part to the mount that handles the forwards/backwards forces and the mount really only handles the weight of the car. The bottom mounts fail pretty commonly and can cause the sort of clunk you're describing.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've had the top mount on my BX TD fail twice - and to be honest never noticed any difference! (first time when I got it - then the replacement failed within about 20,000 miles! - no idea why)
jeremy