Xantia knockin noise after starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Xantia knockin noise after starting

Post by tonyb1 »

I noticed this morning when I started the beloved Xantia that the usual diesel rattle was more like a diesel knocking :( (driver side). After about a minute of letting her tick over it quitened down to the usual rattle. The knocking was quite loud at the start. I've never had this knocking before. Is this a sign of somehting nasty about to happen? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks. Tony
Xantia 1.9 TD LX 1994 - 152,000 miles and running, strange vibrations
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its a heavy sort of knock, like a big end, but it goes off and is OK when you are driving, its probably a partially obstructed injector, in which case it may well heal itself. See what it does tommorrow.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You had a cold morning Tony ?

Your description is typical of a diesel struggling to get all 4 cylinders playing from start. Mostly it disappears instantly if you stop engine and let the pre-heat time out once more before a re-start.

Agree with Peter - but could as well be a weak glow plug.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

Did it smoke more than usual as well? my old xantia smoked and sounded like it was knocking on startup but as Anders said it was just struggling to fire on all cylinders

mipster
98 Xantia 2.1TD Estate 140,000mls
01 Xsara HDI, 130,000mls
97 Xantia TD, 240,000mls (died in france)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Thats right, if you had to turn it over alot before it started, it could just have been a build up of unburnt fuel in the cylinder that wasn't firing.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi guys, been away for a couple of weeks. It's a great feeling when you get back to your car at Stanstead airport after two weeks and she just starts as soon as the key turns :D . The knocking disappeared, I think it was the cold morning affect, had me worried for a bit! Thanks to all for the suggestions, I'll be checking the plugs in a bit. Still trying to figure out the 'squeaking' on the steering wheel, like a sort of friction that I can feel as I turn corners in either direction. I do know that my LHM is a bit dirty, will be flushing in the summer. Can this affect it?
Xantia 1.9 TD LX 1994 - 152,000 miles and running, strange vibrations