Zx TD POOR FUEL CONSUMPTION AND STARTING PROBLEMS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dawso
My Cars:

Zx TD POOR FUEL CONSUMPTION AND STARTING PROBLEMS

Post by dawso »

I have a ZX Td when starting from cold it gives out a large puff of white smoke when warm it runs ok apart from the fuel consumption which is 33mpg not good.The car has 46000 miles on it with a full service history.I was going to take the car to Vanaken to get it tuned up but dont see the point till the cold starting and poor fuel consumption is sorted any ideas would be gratefully recieved.Also anybody had any experiance with Vanaken or similar is it worth getting it done
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

White smoke from a diesel at cold start up means vapourised but unburnt fuel due to either insufficient temperature being developed or not enough fuel being injected.
Check the glow plugs and change the fuel filter, check for cracked or split leak off pipes between injectors, and the blanking cap on no.1 injector at flywheel end.
Dave
dawso
My Cars:

Post by dawso »

Thanks for the quick reply i will try the advice and will let you know how i get on
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Apart from what Dave has already mentioned.
White smoke could also be caused by a retarded injection timing and could cause your excessive fuel comsumption.
If you took it VanAken, I think they would reset the timing because its part of thier procedure in removing and refitting the pump after modifications.
Its worth contacting them to be sure.
Sooty
dawso
My Cars:

Post by dawso »

Now sorted found to be two of the glow plugs burnt out now starts like a dream also had the cam belt changed ready for aaken to tune it up £385 for 110bhp carnt wait thanks for the help