ZX Speedometer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

ZX Speedometer

Post by oscarloco »

Hi folks

I've noticed my speedometer never goes down to 0, it stays at around 10 km/h.

It's this normal?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Mine does that sometimes, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. :roll: :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have a close look at the needle where it has stopped, is it resting on a stop pin, if not, it must be sticking, but I wouldn't worry about it if it works.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Peter.N. wrote:Have a close look at the needle where it has stopped, is it resting on a stop pin, if not, it must be sticking, but I wouldn't worry about it if it works.
Stop pin is lower. I don't know if it might be stuck or if it is callibration. I was wondering if it is bad callibration I may be travelling at 90 when the speedometer says 100? :?:
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

oscarloco wrote:I may be travelling at 90 when the speedometer says 100? :?:
Yes -
Al speedo's are calibrated to some 8-10% higher displayed speed than actual speed. This is a legal requirement in most of the world - because under no circumstance the speedo must ever show less than actual speed.

Believe the meter itself could be obstructed by spider's web or insects - very common.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

AndersDK wrote:
oscarloco wrote:I may be travelling at 90 when the speedometer says 100? :?:
Yes -
Al speedo's are calibrated to some 8-10% higher displayed speed than actual speed. This is a legal requirement in most of the world - because under no circumstance the speedo must ever show less than actual speed.

Believe the meter itself could be obstructed by spider's web or insects - very common.
:lol: I almost spit the water I was drinking just trying to imagine that.
Oscar Lopez
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

As you enter Golspie on the A9 in Scotland, there is a very useful warning device, presumably put there by the police or council, which displays your actual speed. It tells me that I am travelling at 30 mph when my speedometer is indicating 35 mph! So dont worry about your calibration.
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

on my zx the speedo often sits as you say at about 10MPH when stationary, but i find that when i reverse onto my driveway it sometimes knocks it back to 0, rather random to be honest as i doubt i pull 10mpg inreverse onto my driveway as its rather awkward.

having got a tomtom over the christmas period i have been finding out the legal "error" of the speedo. speedo says 75MPH but im only according to satelites pulling 70MPH. at 32 on the speedo im about apparantly only doing 29-30 or so.
As you enter Golspie on the A9 in Scotland, there is a very useful warning device, presumably put there by the police or council, which displays your actual speed.
I personally dont like those signs, where i have come across these signs i find speedy kiddies like to use those signs as what i can guess to be a test of coolness.
ZX 1.4I 1993 Reflex KDX
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont think they have people like that in the highlands! :lol:
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

A guy I used to know used to run his old LDV 400 through on of those signs, just to see what speed he could actually get it to read. Mind you this is the same guy that bought very expensive anti-camera number plates then had the companys address & phone number painted on the back doors :roll: :lol:
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Anders comment about "spider's web or insects - very common." reminds me...

When I first got my ZX it had more tiny spiders inside than a farm yard has mice!! Every morning I had webs inside the car all over the place! I finaly cured the problem by spraying inside the dash, under the seats etc etc with silicone spray. :)

Some spiders still live in under the wings and decorate my wing mirrors overnight, but I dont mind that.. :roll: :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I had spiders when I was single and lived with my parents. One night going to college I saw a large one crawling in the windshield...on the inside. Thank God I had a piece of cloth I use for cleaning the dash handy so I bashed it with this.

After I got married, I haven't seen one inside the car. Maybe they don't like my wife :lol:
Oscar Lopez