How to replace diesel return pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mike_zr7
My Cars:

How to replace diesel return pipe

Post by mike_zr7 »

My xantia 1.9TD usualy starts first time from cold, but the last few days it has been a real pig to start. I have recently replaced the glow plugs and also the leak off pipes. The priming bulb always feels soft, hence I suspect an air leak. The car start quicker If I prime the bulb a few times before attempting to start. Reading the forum I have noticed a common problem appears to be the diesel return pipe near the driver side bulkhead. I believe the supply and return pipes are attached to each other allthough I cant be sure as on my xantia the pipes disapear into a plastic cover under the flooor. Does this pipe run all the way back to the tank or is there a connection around the bulk head area? Is this a citroen part or can any diesel fuel lines be used ?Any help would be appreciated
1996 Xantia 1.9TD 78.000 miles, not yet run in
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, the return pipe runs all the way back to the tank. But before you start investigating, check your fuel filter, its quite easy to get an air leak due to inefective sealing, especially if it has been changed recently.
mike_zr7
My Cars:

Post by mike_zr7 »

Peter, thanks for the reply, the fuel filter has'nt been changed recently, so I am guessing the leak is somewhere in the flow or return pipe.
mike_zr7
My Cars:

Post by mike_zr7 »

Problem solved, I may have a slight air leak but this was not causing the poor starting. The problem was two duff heater plugs. I replaced all four heater plugs 10 months ago. Approx 3 months ago I discovered one of the heater plugs was faulty, now another two heater plugs have packed in.
The make of heater plugs was WELLMAN, do not buy this make of heater plugs. As a temporary measure I have fitted my two old heater plugs which I have checked and know are OK. Some of the guys on this forum recommend Beru heater plugs, and I think this is good advice.
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Just a thought.... did you change all four yourself 10mths ago, or did the garage SAY they changed all four.... I only ask because I know how difficult some can be to change.
Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
Xantia V6 Exclusive (2000
Xantia 1.9TD SX (2000)
Previously owned
Xantia V6 Exclusive (97)
XM V6 Exclusive (95)
AX 1.4
mike_zr7
My Cars:

Post by mike_zr7 »

No, I changed all four heater plugs myself, and the one behind the injection pump is a pure swine. As stated earlier the heater plugs were WELLMAN make, avoid these like the plague.