XANTIA HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ashton rose
My Cars:

XANTIA HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

Post by ashton rose »

:( HI, just bought 2000w xantia estate, lovely car, however, front suspension is at full height (rear OK), it will go down when switched to low position but returns to full height, when normal selected, also is a touch floaty on front end, any help appreciated, thanks.
ASHTON ROSE
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

When you say its a 'touch floaty' do you mean that it should be lots more floaty as in the spheres are getting a bit hard OR this is your first Xantia you have owned and therefore concerned why the front end is floaty ???

To change the height of the car, lift up the car using a jack and support on axel stands, DO NOT GO UNDERNEATH THE CAR WITHOUT SUPPORTS - THESE CARS CAN KILL, make sure the car is on the normal height setting (middle) and go underneath the front end of the car, now be kinda quick about this as you will really need the engine running and when the fan kicks in apparently you cant breathe so good with all the hot air being blown at you (Oops Wilkobob), undo the nut for the height corrector and rotate until the car lowers itself to the preferred height (others can be a bit more technical as to how high and give a better explanation/description of where the height corrector is), these can get a bit stiff with all the crud but they do rotate with a bit of encouragement, apparently my mate said the front end is much more sensitive than the back.

Ive seen the rear ends' but not the front!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Try a forum search, there are a number of detailed posts on adjusting the ride height, a couple of them from me....

Setting the front height is not a simple job due to the very difficult access to the height corrector without a four post hoist. It is doable with a pair of decent drive on ramps if you are patient and take care.

If the front ride height is nearly fully up then yes, the ride will be rather "floaty" and unstable :)

Even as little as 20mm too high will tend the make the ride feel very strange, and will also upset the handling.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

It could of couse be the plastic clip has popped off the height corrector because the linkage has siezed up with dirt.
This often happens at the back because the rear height corrector is more exposed.

Søren
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Before you alter anything, just check to see that the height control linkage isn't siezed, the adjustment shouldn't change unless someone has altered it. Try spraying the linkage with WD40 several times over a few days. If the front is 'floaty' the suspension cant be at full height or you would have no movement and it would be rock hard. If it is at full height, it will damage the CV joint boots if you drive it.
ashton rose
My Cars:

XANTIA HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

Post by ashton rose »

HI, Guys, thanks for your help, i have a couple of days off next week, will try your suggestions, the car as i say is at full height on front from the off, and as you drive it floats up and down on the front, the selector is on normal height position, if i select low, the car does go down but when switched back to normal, the back is fine but the front returns to full height, i will let you know what happens, cheers, mike.
ASHTON ROSE