Xantia Diesel Lost Power and Smoking like hell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bman

Xantia Diesel Lost Power and Smoking like hell

Post by bman »

My xantia has been getting progressivly slower now i can't get the engine above 3k rpm and no faster than 60 no power at all and blowing out lots of smoke, HELP!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sounds like your diesel is struggling to breathe :(

My first bet is on the air intake filter - most likely its totally clogged by oil condensing from the crankcase oilfume vent hoses.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, I'm with Anders. If the air intake is being obstructed it will also lower the manifold pressure, which will cause the sensor on the pump to reduce the fueling, hence the poor performance. Fit a new filter and give the interior of the housing a good clean. Failing that, you could have a turbo problem.
bman

Post by bman »

i've tried running it down the road without the airbox connected and no improvement..... maybe turbo but its very very slow has been getting worse
p20

Post by p20 »

I know a friend who had a loss of power with his passat tdi. It was caused by the airflow meter. It was basically giving a false reading, saying that the turbo was giving enough output, when actually it was hardly working.
307SW HDi 110
bman

Post by bman »

mines a xud
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I take it that it is a non ECU type? or it could be an electronic problem. If the air intake is clear from the filter, there must be an obstruction in it somewhere. It could be that the turbo has siezed but its not likely. Has the air intake been open at any time so as to suck in something that could cause an obstruction, has the intake pipe to the turbo collapsed or got squashed? The only other possible thing I can think of is that the pump timing is out, if it was running retarded it could give those symptoms although I would have thought it would have been difficult to start, has the cam belt been changed lately? I take it that it is black smoke that it is emmiting? It could possibly be a blockage on the output side of the turbo, in the intercooler perhaps. Try the effect of taking the air intake hose off the manifold and running it, you wont get much power but if it stops smoking you will know you are on the right track.
Last edited by Peter.N. on 01 Feb 2006, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the air intake is fine and you're limited to 3000 rpm it sounds bad.

Is the exhaust blocked?
Does it have a catalyst?
Has the EGR valve stuck open?
Has the timing belt jumped a tooth (or several)?

Whats the idle like? Smooth and quiet of lumpy?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right bman - be a man and please inform us all the facts on your engine.

There is too much guessing and shooting in the dark already - because we dont know the basics :

1) Year model
2) TD (turbodiesel) or
3) D (standard suction diesel)
4) mileage
5) last repair and/or service done - and when
6) how is it to start the engine - lots of turning ?
7) does your Xantia enjoy regular service - or is that left for anything major failing ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
bman

Post by bman »

we have a y reg xantia td but it a funny one ie it is a new shape but has the earlier engine, it has done 125k, it had the cam belt changed at 115k, its strats a treat, is using a fair ammount of oil.... its pretty well looked after but weve only had it less than a year, it has been getting sloweer and slower,
bman

Post by bman »

it does have a cat, i was thinking maybe pump timing as mentioned but i would of thought that it would of got slower then and there, it could be a breathing prob i guess maybe the cat's collapsed? but then why the smoke....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

What colour is the smoke?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you got EGR on this engine? If so it may have gummed up the manifold.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16785

There are a number of postings if you search.

If this is a TD with a mechanical pump the fuel will be delivered in 2 stages - the first (no boost) the quantity will be regulated by the engine speed alone, the second on boost will be regulated by manifold pressure - ie boost sensitive. If the engine is down on power it won't produce much boost in any event - so little additional fuel.
jeremy
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

I had a turbo hose come dislodged on the old 405. It would peak at 3000rpm, and had no pull at all.

I would check all of these first. You don't really hear anything different, so don't go assuming you would've noticed extra noise. However, mine didn't smoke.

Alternatively, it could be the oil seal in the turbo. This would cause the smoke, and may be creating enough drag to slow down the rotor. Unless the spindle's so far out of true that it's offering little assistance. I guess if the exhaust gases were passing the bearing back into the inlet, then maybe that would cause a problem. Too much bad gas on the inlet side, AND oil loss into the exhaust.

There's no easy way of checking the turbo without removing turbo hoses though... :?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its not the small hose to the extra fuel device on the injection pump. I agree that this causes a considerable loss of power as basically it instantly converts the engine to a non-turbo but it cannot cause smoking.

I agree that a failed turbo oil seal can cause smoking - in which case it will probably be the characteristic engine oil blue. This is not a common problem with Citroens and also would not cause a loss of power and by now would be causing a very considerable loss of engine oil.
jeremy