BERLINGO REV COUNTER ACTING ODDLY, PLEASE HELP!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kb
My Cars:

BERLINGO REV COUNTER ACTING ODDLY, PLEASE HELP!

Post by kb »

I have a 2001 berlingo multispace forte 1.9d (multiplexed). While driving along, my rev counter started to behave oddly, first the needle began registering below any numbers at the bottom of the dial. The needle then reset itself to zero. The needle occasionally jumps to ten on a gear change, but immediately drops again to zero. While driving along normally, the needle wiggles a little around the zero, like it is trying to move, but doesn't have the energy. I really don't want to visit Citroen again and pay £30 for them to plug it into their computer just to diagnose a fault again. My hubby is getting really annoyed with the little things going wrong, on this my choice of carting the children around car. If anyone has a quick fix for this problem, please help, instructions in childlike detail would help as I am not brilliant with the inside of an engine compartment, but I am not afraid to get dirty and I am sure I could always enlist some help. I don't want to admit that something else has gone wrong! Please advise if you can. Many thanks.
My Cars:

rev counter

Post by 8304 »

does your vehicle have mechanical fuel injection or is it the HDI i dont know much about the later but if its mechanical the pickup for the rev counter os off the flywheel on the top of thebell housing - might be worth giving it a clean as they can get crudded up!! :shock:
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

In either event your problem is probably due to a poor connection somewhere, finding it, thats something else, but a full circuit diagram of the electrics would help. Lets hope someone on the forum has had the same problem and has cured it.
kb
My Cars:

Post by kb »

I have has similar advice elsewhere about the sensor around the flywheel/bell housing. I have had a look in the hayes manual as well, but my engine knowledge is limited, I am not really sure what I am looking for. Descibe bell housing and flywheel position, and what they look like please? As what I think I am looking at may not be right, sorry to be so dim, but any help appeciated. My engine is not HDI version, in reply to other query.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If the rev counter is sensor driven, the sensor is located at the flywheel end of the engine just below the cylinder head in the centre i.e above the highest point of the flywheel. The sensor fits in a hole which locates it very close to the top edge of the flywheel. There are usually two wires coming from it which run into a plug and socket connector fixed to the end of the cylinder head, this is where the problem is likely to be. Pull the connector apart, clean the pins and apply a little grease. That is all thats neccessary if in fact thats what the problem is.

If your engine is electronically managed then the drive for the counter could come from the management computer, not knowing the vehicle, I cant really help, but if its an XUD engine it will have a sensor which may just drive the rev counter or the management system.
kb
My Cars:

Post by kb »

Spoke to Citroen today, told me to drive the car around for few weeks, as it may reset itself. If not, he thinks I am going to need new dash clocks, they apparently come in one piece, the part would be in excess of £250. Oh the pain of multiplexed wiring!!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I should sell it and get a BX!
kb
My Cars:

Post by kb »

I suppose the question I have to ask myself is do I really need the rev counter? I can manage without one, it isn't stopping the car from working. But its always nice to have everything working in a car.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I know how you feel. The one on my XM didn't work when I bought it, but as I subsequently had to take the head off, I could get to the sensor reasonably easily, so I fitted a secondhand one. It was still a lot of work for what it accomplished, but its satisfying to know it works.
kb
My Cars:

Post by kb »

Your not going to believe this, I have another fault on the Bingo, I am a little suspicious it may be related to the rev counter. While driving along about 60mph the engine started to clatter very loudly, became a little concerned so diverted toward friends house to investigate. Pulled up at traffic lights and the engine stalled (I may be a woman, but I know how to drive a car it wasn't my fault). I restarted the engine, when accelerating the clatter became deafening. Pulled up at friends house to investigate, could see no obvious fault. Left car for half an hour, when back to car and started the engine sounded perfect. Drove 30 miles home, no problem. The hubby is accusing me of hearing things. But I know the car sounded like a 1970's bus! After reading other Berlingo threads I am starting to think the two faults could be connected. What on earth is going on with this car?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Your description of the noise sounds like diesel 'knock' which could be an indication that something is upsetting the timing, if it is over advanced it will make that noise. Or, it could be a temporary injector fault, if the needle sticks and holds the injector open for any reason, it can make a knocking noise similar to that of a failed big end bearing. If the noise has now gone off, that would seem to indicate that there is nothing mechanical wrong with the engine. I would just keep driving it and see what, if anything, happens.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the fault may be related to the rev counter problem as the ECU needs to see engine speed & position to work out the advance on the timing,if the timing goes out then it will rattle,only problem is i would expect it to rattle every time the rev counter stops working.because of this i think it may just be coincedence & you may have a fault like this
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ectrovalve
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

think wheeler is spot on there.look at your engine speed signal first,some say multiplex is a pain but when faults are linked as this one is, can be easier to diagnose :wink:
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....