Xantia Dashboard Bulb Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

320i coupe

Xantia Dashboard Bulb Replacement

Post by 320i coupe »

Hi all,

Just thought i'd share my massive task of changing 2 pesky bulbs, and try and describe it better so that other people dont make the same mistakes i did!

The car is a '97 SX TD Estate, with 2 bulbs blown on fuel & temparature guages, thumping method has now ceased to solve the problem!

Decided that from the advice of the forum, that i wasnt going to follow the BOL advice, and try to get the clocks out without removing the steering wheel, which i can confirm i did do, but with a bit of bodging!

Firstly removed the bottom cowling from steering column, but then found that would need to remove the top cowling, but this was fixed round the steering column itself, but found the plastic used was quite soft & bendy, so got a hacksaw to the smallest bit below, then simply bent this off, although i wouldnt suggest this in cold weather as it might cause the plastic to crack!

Next job was to remove the lower panel beneath the clocks.

This was quite simple as there are just 2 screws holding this in, once these are removed, you need to pull the panel TOWARDS you, dont be scared to use a bit of effort, as it will be quite tough to shift at first, but once off, you will then see the exposed bottom 2 screws to the clocks!

At this point you then need to adjust your sterring wheel tilt to its lowest point.

Once this is done, undo the two bottom screws, then the top single screw, once this is dont you will need a small sharp / pointed instrument, i used a stubby sharp knife, this is why. If once all screws are loose you will find the clocks will still not budge, this is becuase the top screw holder is recessed into the dash, so use the sharp knife to lever this down, then you will find the clocks will then pop out!

I found that there was then plenty of space to change the bulbs without disconnecting any cables, but be careful that when removing them from the holders from the clocks that they dont fall into the dash, you wont find them, and you wont get them back, and without the plastic bulb holders, you're knackered!

Buy more bulbs than you need, i found that some bulbs tend to blow, this must be down to disturbing the clocks, they are of the 1.2v capless type.

Then put all back together as you took it apart!

Should take less than an hour, if you know what your doing, but like me, if your just having a go, took nearly 5 hours, oh , and make sure you disconnect the interior bulbs, it managed to kill off my battery!

Hope this helps those who have so far put it off, but beleive me, i aint no mechanic, and if i can do it, i'm pretty confident anyone else can!

I just couldnt put up with not knowing how hot the car was, or how much fuel it had in the dark!

Steve