rough idle + blue smoke

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

freek
My Cars:

rough idle + blue smoke

Post by freek »

Hi,
A few months ago I mentioned serious problems with the roto diesel pump on my BX TD. The bearings were completely destroyed. I found a overhauled one and adjusted the timing with help of my ears and eyes. This forum has helped me a lot with tips on this subject. I am very confident with the result: I use the car a lot and drove more than 5000 km since repair. The engine is very quiet and produces far less smoke when speeding up than before. I have the car now for 15 years and it keeps amazing me for its quality and comfort. However there is one aspect that puzzles me: when starting from cold it runs even for 2-3 seconds and then starts to produce blue smoke for 20 seconds or so X and runs very rough when idling. It starts instantly, also with -5C or so. I had this problem already before I changed the pump. The glow plugs seem to be fine. I also do not think of air in the system, because it does not occur for the rest of the day. The symptoms look like low compression, but on the other hand I do not believe that because of the good performance and minimal exhaust smoke. Or could it still be a sign of piston wear? I there a chance that injectors are causing this when cold?
Regards Freek