Xantia Key Plip Fob thing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Please help its not for my car but a friend has a 1996 P reg 1.9TD no ECU under bonnet.
He only has one key fob and would like another just in-case. So can he get a fob from any other xantia and re-programme, or does he need to go to dealer?

If he can just get a fob from ebay what one does he need to look for? its a 2 button one he has, 1st locks doors and 2nd button deadlock/alarm. never uses the 2nd button as alarm always goes off.

Is it a dealer only cutting job for a key that will then fit into new/old fob?
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

put key into ignition and turn it till teh battery lights come on

point the new plip at the IR and press and hold for about 10 seconds

plip should be reprogrammed.

key:

i had to get one from my local cit dealer - 2 batteries , the key and the key code (needed cit to get me the correct key code) cost me £35 all in

the guy at cit reprogrammed my fob - but he said` sit and watch me do this`
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If its a 1996 model it will be a series 1 with infrared plip, therefore make sure you get an infrared plip not a later RF one.

Any 2 button plip from 1993 to 1997 should be ok. I'm fairly sure you can also use a single button one if you don't mind not being able to arm the alarm.

As for cutting the key - it is possible to get a blank for the fob (and change it by drilling out the old rivet) however the ignition key seems to give a bit of trouble for the "average" corner locksmith.

When mum tried to get a spare key cut for hers 2 places turned her down saying they couldn't do that kind of key and the place that did accept the job didn't get it right either. :evil: It can open the door but not activate the ignition.

So make sure you use an experienced locksmith.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Horse

Post by Horse »

put key into ignition and turn it till teh battery lights come on

point the new plip at the IR and press and hold for about 10 seconds

plip should be reprogrammed.
Will this start the car ok???
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

when i got mine done i just went to my local cit dealer - nice blokes , and they did it for me

they used my spare key to turn the battery one , and then reprogrammed the plip
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Mandrake wrote:didn't get it right either. :evil: It can open the door but not activate the ignition.
That sounds like my key operating the doors but not the ignition any more.
The ignition lock has worn.
The doors were always opened and closed with the remote control, and the ignition with the key on the fob.
The door locks weren't used and worn, but the pins in the ignition barrel had worn.
The key was getting hard to remove, and was soon going to be left stuck in it.
I removed all pins and tumblers and springs, 15 pieces all up, and even the steering lock.
The car can now be started with a screwdriver, but the yobbos don't know that, and the doors still lock.
Even then, no risk of getting a Citroën stolen here, the yobbos wouldn't even know how to spell its name.

Don't know if the ignition barrel has the standard ½ inch diameter, but if it does, then there is a revolting bodgie that I have often done to make house door locks tolerant of worn and inaccurate keys.

You remove the circlip or screws that hold the barrel in the lock body.
With the inner plastic tube of a Vicks inhaler stick, just the right size at ½ an inch, you push the barrel out, and the tube will hold the pins and springs in place.
You tip the tumblers out of the barrel one by one, and note where they will have to return.
Next, you cut recesses around the tumbler holes with a large drill bit turned by hand, to enable the barrel to more easily push the pins outwards.
Reassembly is the reverse etc...

The ignition lock has 3 rows of 5 pins, but the springs can be taken out from the outside of the lock body, and since they are all the same lenght, can be easily reassembled.

Gobbledygook, Image but seeing is doing.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
You will find that you have to click the plip 10-12 times to program it in---holding button down will not work. Other than that, same as al;ready mentioned.
Hope his helps,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

This is the correct way to do it.......On a 93 to 97 Xantia with 2 button plip.
I sorted my flip out like this. Put your key into igition switch and turn on. Put plip right up to red dome in roof lining, by int. mirror. Press until your hear/feel a click , up to 12 times. Switch off ignition, and aim plip at dome, click it and it should work, ie lock/unlock doors. It works for me everytime. Obviously batteries should be ok in plip. If it doesn`t work, just turn ignition switch to the accessories position and retry the clicking at dome.
This definately works for Xants between 93 and 97. The plip only lights up for the time it takes for micro switch to click. It will not stay on for the times suggested earlier.. You will either have to have 2 keys, or take key from plip.
Hope this helps (Greg)
and another post......On a 93 to 97 Xantia with 2 button plip.
I sorted my flip out like this. Put your key into igition switch and turn on. Put plip right up to red dome in roof lining, by int. mirror. Press until your hear/feel a click , up to 12 times. Switch off ignition, and aim plip at dome, click it and it should work, ie lock/unlock doors. It works for me everytime. Obviously batteries should be ok in plip. If it doesn`t work, just turn ignition switch to the accessories position and retry the clicking at dome.
This definately works for Xants between 93 and 97. The plip only lights up for the time it takes for micro switch to click. It will not stay on for the times suggested earlier.. You will either have to have 2 keys, or take key from plip.
Hope this helps
and another.............Can I suggest you start out afresh by reprogramming your plip?
You need to have one key in the ignition but only turned to the first position, not the full position. Point the plip very closely at the receiver above the rear view mirror a number of times with the button nearest to the key. Turn off ignition, remove key, open and close door. Now try the plip. It should work so then reset the alarm under the bonnet.

OK?
Cheers!
John