xantia woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seabrook
My Cars:

xantia woes

Post by seabrook »

i have just purchased my first xantia and love it its a 95 m plate 1.9 td this is my first experiance of hydraulics so please forgive my ignorance.the car goes up and down fine but there is a constant click from the front of the engine when rising and frequently on driving i presume it has something to do with the pump.also when turning the ignition on there is no glow plug light and tha car wont start i have heard and felt the glow plug relay click off but there is no power to either of the black leads into and out of the relay is this correct at the moment i have to use a jump lead from the battery placed on a glow plug foe 15 secs to start the thing could this be the ignition switch at fault?thanx every one
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Hydraulic Citroens shouldn't tick more frequently than about every 30 seconds. If they do the chances are that the accumulator sphere attached to the regulator has failed. Loads of sets of instructions on here on changing it.

To test - set suspension to normal height, get it there and let the engine idle for a couple of minutes. Turn off engine and sit in the boot - car should drop quite a long way - then after about 1/2 minute rise to its original height. if it doesnt then the accumulator sphere should be changed - about £20 for a new one from GSF or Eurocarparts.

If it still ticks fast come back - there are other things that affect it.

Glow plugs - I don't know if they are fused - not on BX but these things vary. Citroen have a habit of hiding auxillary fuseboxes all over the place - nice boxes but difficult to find! - After 3 years I found 3 more fuses on our ZX the other day! In fact its probably not fused - and should have a heavy feed more or less directly connected to the battery. There may be a connector in this circuit which has failed (may be cleanable). The heavy glowplug current does NOT pass through the ignition switch.

In fact the relay is quite sophisticated and may turn the plugs off while the starter operates. Your really need a wiring diagram to see what's happening but it still must have a heavy 12 volt supply!
jeremy