406/Xantia blower motors are they the same?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

406/Xantia blower motors are they the same?

Post by Allanxantia »

I am trying to source either a whole blower motor or the resistor/transistor pack for my colleagues 1997 406. The car has air con. There is a xantia and an XM blower on ebay which look the same. My Xantia has no aircon so I cannot compare. I am not going to start going to the scrapyard as that will take up too much of my (free) time. Want the part to arrive and I can fit it in the car park at lunch! I know that you can replace the transistors which I would dop if it were mine but too much hassle. Unless anyone has one on offer??
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont know for sure, but I would imagine they are. The cheapest option is to replace the transistors. If it has a transistor module the same as the picture on e-bay, I would say that the motors are the same.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

What fault do we have ? :?
If the transistors are short, the motor will spin flat-out.
If it doesn't spin, it's likely to be the ignition switch.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Its the motor brushes I reckon, it is very jerky in operation, and sometimes doesnt work at all, even when you put power straight to it. As I said it is for a colleague so I do not want to spend much time, simply swapping it over.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would still say transistors, they go intermittent prior to failing.
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

Allanxantia wrote:Its the motor brushes I reckon, it is very jerky in operation, and sometimes doesnt work at all, even when you put power straight to it. As I said it is for a colleague so I do not want to spend much time, simply swapping it over.
I'd go with that or the commutator. My 405 one started to go a while back. Every time I cleaned up the commutator it worked fine for a while, until it gunged up again.

Muck was building up in the pits/tracks in the commutator and obviously stopping the current from flowing as it should.

Basically just needed the pits and tracks skimming out of the commutator to leave it nice and smooth as it should be.