HDi fuel system vibration / hammer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

HDi fuel system vibration / hammer

Post by mcgregor »

Guys
Can anyone help me with a drawing or a web link to a drawing of my Xantia Hdi fuel system. Especially the low pressure system. My Xantia has been making a hammering type noise from the fuel system after a longish run for weeks now. I changed the lift pump in the tank and that seemed to temporarily cure the problem but its back now less than a week after changing the pump and I just don’t know what else it could be. Is there a regulator or cut off in the system that could be sticking causing the hammering noise. It sound for all the world like water hammer like in a house when it happens, and if you lift the back seat you can feel the vibration from the pump discharge. Any help would be much appreciated but a schematic type drawing of the system would be a massive help to me.
Cheers
Dave
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

I guess not it was a bit hopefull I suppose.
In that case can anyone tell me then the route of the HDi fuel system? eg
LP lift pump - fuel filter- regulator - HP pump that sort of thing because I'm well baffled by all the stuff in there that I simply do not recognise.
Honestly any help would be much appreciated.
Dave
zeersplat
My Cars:

Post by zeersplat »

I have had exactly the same problem on my wifes 306 Hdi (I have the cit Hdi which is the same). I tried a pressure damper in the low pressure fuel line (as recomended by pug dealer) but that didnt work. Changing the fuel filter housing cured it, they are about £35 from eurocarparts and its an easy job to do. I think there is a pressure relief valve in the filter housing which may be causing the hammering/vibration.

Hope this helps
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks it does indeed help. I rather suspected it might be relief valve or regulator or the like but had absolutely no idea where it was situated. I shall try that.Thanks very much.
Dave
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Changed the fuel filter housing as suggested and lo and behold it now seems to be fixed. Two full days now without an occurence makes me fairly confident. Thanks for the ideas.
Dave