Xantia TD Suspension woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RohanC
My Cars:

Post by RohanC »

Ach, sorry, thats what i meant :oops:
Sick 200k miles black Xantia TD... Now (mostly) fixed :) Now sold!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Metal pipes can corrode although its generally the 2 underneath the car on BX. They in common with most pipework (High pressure hydraulic) is not very expensive from Citroen.
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

mezuk04 wrote:Have to admit my car has always been a bit slow at lifting itself from the very low (service) setting, leave it a few minutes and come back its up to maximum height however to speed the process up a bit i found if i plonk myself in the drivers seat then it starts to lift a bit quicker so i wouldnt worry about the speed in which its lifting
I can't see any way sitting in the car would reduce the time to lift from right down to right up, are you sure its not a case of watched pot syndrome ? :lol: :wink:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Curious one - when I had a defective FDV on my BX it would rise quicker if i held the steering wheel against a load but I've never heard of this one.

Suppose - height corrector linkage is siezed, Car stops with height corrector closed as its at the correct height. Car drops, linkage stays shut or nearly, car starts - linkage shut or very nearly - driver 'plonks' in - car is shaken, linkage is jogged and opens - car rises!

Anyone got a better theory?
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Cant give a theory as Im not that clever :lol:

But I can confirm that when its lying on the floor it will take a good few minutes for it to rise to another setting, unless I plonk myself in the seat and it rises straight away
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd start by examinining and lubricating the height corrector mechanism - all of it right up to the rod going into the corrector. WD40 may help initially but this will evaporate, run off or wash off so grease or something will be better long term - and may be best applied with a brush.

I'm sure you know all about supporting the car so it cannot fall on you.
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Is it quite safe to get a hosepipe under there with a pressure hose attached??? to get all the muck and cr@p from out of the height corrector and linkage clip without fear of breaking it....though im not talking about a pressure washer, just one of these little attachments for a bit more direct pressure.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes it should be but all the linkage will need to be lubricated properly immediately afterwards. Its also a good idea to have a good look around afterwards to make sure that none of the return piping has been dislodged.

Lovely job with cold water dripping all over you - lying on your back on a wet drive!
jeremy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Mandrake wrote:watched pot syndrome :lol: :wink:
Last edited by Clogzz on 07 Feb 2006, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
RohanC
My Cars:

Post by RohanC »

Not forgeting to put extra supports under car while playing with the height adjusters ;)

Havent tried finxing the pipe yet.. to damn cold at 7pm when i get home from work.

I am therefore driving this to work:

More here: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=169281

Sorry if you not interested in "Jap Crap" but i felt a need to post it up :lol:

Already bombed £60 on fuel in 4 days :( :-({|=
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

May be Jap - but I wouldn't call that crap!

I have a secret hankering for something completely daft like a Mitsubishi GTO or similar! - may not go round corners quite as well as a Xantia Activa but if I'm going to have that fuel consumption I might as well have something that looks the part!
jeremy
RohanC
My Cars:

Post by RohanC »

Thanks for you kind comments on my Nissan :)

Update on the Xantia... I tried renewing the clip on the HP feed. Losened it up (its in a trick place to reach!) tried to pull it off....

.... and the metal tube that slots into the pump came out instead, still attached to the rubber pipe :oops:

I slotted it back in, and fitted the new clamp but there is still froth in the resivour tank :(

Is there supposed to be an O ring or something on the metal tube? With the amouunt of suction that pump must cause, i think its bound to draw air in still. I think i may just try and CAREFULLY Hymolar it in place...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

jeremy wrote:May be Jap - but I wouldn't call that crap!

I have a secret hankering for something completely daft like a Mitsubishi GTO or similar! - may not go round corners quite as well as a Xantia Activa but if I'm going to have that fuel consumption I might as well have something that looks the part!
The GTO comes with ALL of the toys doesn't it?

Active aerodynamics, all wheel drive. Do you get active suspension too? More complex than any Citroen but I'm willing to bet you don't get the Citroen experience with electrics on it.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes - I haven't studied them in detail - but as well as some being twin turbo (well its a V6 - they have to be) there appear to be moveable aerodynamics and no doubt loads of other curiosities.

http://cgworld.ru/blueprints/images/mitsubishi_gto.jpg

Loads cheaper than an E type as well.
jeremy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

To return to the topic - some earlier Xantia pumps re prone to the inlet section falling off. There was something on this several years ago but i can't search the forum at the moment. I think the conclusion was that a replacement pump was the only answer but if you can get it to work another way fair enough.

What I would say is that as you've found out it is a safety related component and this obviously affects the quality of repair that should be made.
jeremy