Buying a write-off at salvage auction?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Buying a write-off at salvage auction?

Post by Allanxantia »

I am wondering if anyone has experience of buying from a salvage auction? I was at one on Saturday and there was an excellent low mileage 98R ZX TDSX one owner FSH 77k miles with a scrape all along one side, not that bad and to be honest I could live with it, for £260. It however was a cat C. There were lots of others with very little damage that were "C" . Seems a great way of getting a very cheap car. What are the catches?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

With labour costs as they are, it doesn't take much to write a car off now so you can get a bargain if you know what you are doing. Make sure it was only the damage that wrote it off and check that everything else is OK. I got £400 knocked off my XM because a lot of the electrics didn't work, took me a couple of days to fix them and I now have one of the very few XMs on which everything works!
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

No knowledge of salvage auctions, but my car was written off as a cat C, and they let me keep it for £50 (Its a P-reg, mondeo td ghia) which I thought was brilliant, and for a new bumper and wing (the parts damaged) cost £150, and took 4 hours to fit. not bad. To be honest, im not at all bothered about having cars that have been written off, as 9 times out of 10 theres very little wrong with them. The only thing you have to have done is a harmless VIC check, costs £36 and takes all of 20 minutes at your local VOSA test centre.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Thanks Wilkobob, was your MOT invalid when it was written off? I have heard this is the case, it can be very difficult to get information on this. Also it appears you need to MOT it then VIC check it and then apply for a V5!! Don't want to get stung here!
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

If they are at banger prices buying a catC is a good deal, but before the decision is made consider the reaction of a potential buyer when u come to sell it.
Cheers!
John
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I cant recall Wilkobob having to re-MOT the write-off cars since he has had a couple now that he has bought back off them.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I saved my mates BX a few years ago, he bought it back as a write off well cheap, it needed a wing, headlamp, indicator, bonnet and front bumper. we fitted it all and took it to my garage for a new MOT explained it needed an engineers report, showed him pictures of the damage and I think he charged about £60 including the test.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Ive never bothered, ive asked and been told it doesnt need it!, Ive got my V5 back and after a VIC check, and then taxed the car online (i have computerised mot originally) and its gone through ok, so I assume you dont need to bother
zxb29
My Cars:

Post by zxb29 »

ive brought quite a few salvaged vehicles mate and in my opinion dont buy anything that has any suspension damage or heavy front end damage.

Ive lost more then i gained a few times

Go for something that has minor body damage like a scrape or wing/door replacement and you will pick up a great bargain.

Cat D salvage does not require a VIC
Cat C requires a VIC

Be on the safe side and re-MOT the vehicles after you have repaired due to some of the salvage vehicles standing for such a long time the breaks/drums might have seized a little or gone rusty or any other little problems.
-----------------------
2005 ZX SX Diesel 64K
2004 ZX Aura TD 150k
2003 ZX Volcane TD 124k