Xantia Hydraulic problems (again)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samtronic
My Cars:

Xantia Hydraulic problems (again)

Post by samtronic »

Hi,

I still have problems with the hydraulics on my '93 Xantia 1.8i. I thought I had fixed it when I fixed the (possible) air leak in the feed hose, but it still misbehaves.

Symptoms:

Usually the STOP light goes out after a couple of seconds, but the car doesn't rise and the STOP light lights up if I press the brake.
If I stop and start the engine, it usually rises straight away.
I have tried once to turn the steering to full lock (without stopping and restarting the engine) and it seemed to get it to rise.

The first 10 minutes after start the steering can be heavy.

Sometimes the STOP light comes back on when braking.

The system have been flushed recently.
The accumulator is fine.
The only return hose having a flow when not rising is from the power steering.
The pump is a bit noisy. :(

I would guess either the pump or the FDV has problems and I'll try to clean the filters in the FDV Sunday.
Any helpful hints would be appreciated. :)
Is there anything else I can do without changing parts?

Is it most likely to be the pump or the FDV? - or am I missing something else?

Regards,
Søren
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

When you flushed the system, did you clean the filters in the reservoir? and, have you checked the pump drive belt tension? Otherwise, I would suspect the pump, If the steering is heavy you have a low output.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the filters in the FDV needed a clean - they would explode because of the high pressure and let micro-tiny nylon bits into the control valves in the FDV - upsetting the function of the FDV. Standard problem.

These filters are approx 5x8mm - so they would not exactly be serviceable anyway. It is possible to overhaul the FDV, but its a very meticolous and precise job.

If the pump is noisy it would be the 1.st option on parts replacing. They do wear out.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

Thanks for the comments.
When you flushed the system, did you clean the filters in the reservoir? and, have you checked the pump drive belt tension? Otherwise, I would suspect the pump, If the steering is heavy you have a low output.
I changed them. The return filter had a small tear (probably from when I pulled it out of the tank with all pipes still attached).
If the filters in the FDV needed a clean - they would explode because of the high pressure and let micro-tiny nylon bits into the control valves in the FDV - upsetting the function of the FDV. Standard problem.

These filters are approx 5x8mm - so they would not exactly be serviceable anyway. It is possible to overhaul the FDV, but its a very meticolous and precise job.
Even if I am meticolous and precise, it might not help then? I guess I'll better try the pump first.
If the pump is noisy it would be the 1.st option on parts replacing. They do wear out.
After only 220000km? :D
At least it is easy to get to sitting above the alternator and the AC compressor.
But it's quite expensive - any possiblity of bettering it myself?

Bu the way is the correct GSF part N43423? - The car is a '93 1.8i 8V with AC. (Their price is half of locally and the surcharge the same)

Regards,
Søren
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have just had to change mine at 135k miles, and that was noisey!