xantia 97 1.9td ribbed belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano
My Cars:

xantia 97 1.9td ribbed belt

Post by deano »

Hi,

as you look at the engine from the front, on the left there is a belt (ribbed) this is half missing on my car now as in haf the width it use to be, think the tensioner must have gones as well. two questions :-

1 what happens if it goes all together is the car still driveable?

2 how easy is it to change it and the tensioner? as there don't appear to be a great deal of room down the side to do anything.

TIA

Deano
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: xantia 97 1.9td ribbed belt

Post by Mandrake »

deano wrote:Hi,

as you look at the engine from the front, on the left there is a belt (ribbed) this is half missing on my car now as in haf the width it use to be, think the tensioner must have gones as well. two questions :-

1 what happens if it goes all together is the car still driveable?
Short answer, no.

Without the auxillary belt you have no hydraulic pump which means no suspension, power steering, or brakes. (Of less consequence is also no alternator to charge the battery, and no air conditioning)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

thanks for the quick reply - looks as if it's suddnely become an urgent job now then :(

cheers
Deano
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It could be worse than that. Its not unknown for a damaged auxillary belt to damage the cambelt cover and get in amongst the cambelt and cause complete havoc and a destroyed engine!

VERY urgent job!
jeremy
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

right spoke to local citroen dealer ther are two possibilities for the belts and tensioner :(

anyone have any ideas how to tell what aircon unit is on the car as the local citroen deal just said your have to bring it in for us to have a look and we will charge you £25 :(

the two types are harrison / horisson or standard

cheers
Deano
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Haven't a clue - never even knowingly sat in a Xantia ! - but Quinton Hazell (and others) do put their belts catalogue and may others on the net in downloadable acrobat form. I think you'll find that the belt size is simply defined by length and rib nos.

jeremy
jeremy
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Deano,

Jeremy is correct and the belt is numbered relative to length and number of ribs. The number should be stencilled on the belt. It would be worth rotating the engine by hand (put it in 4th gear and push the car gently) and seeing whether the remaining belt has at least part of this number. The number is very faint but is printed length ways on the belt about five times across the width along with a longer number. It is the length that is critical, you should be able to tell the number of ribs from the pulley. I found the number on mine as the dealer said that the length was relative to the alternator and compressor fitted. It it helps mine is a 1736 (6 ribs).

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi

cheers for the replys, will have a look on the belt when i've finnished me dinner :)

Deano
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi

can anyone recomend a mobile mechanic in the Telford ( shropshire ) area to fit the required parts, there is only about half of the belt left, lost the other half over 10miles.

Or anyone on the boards who is close by to fit required parts?

any info greatfully received.

Cheers
Deano