Xsara starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

d87heaven

Xsara starting problems

Post by d87heaven »

I have a 1.4 xsara which is giving me intermittent starting problems.

Sometimes when starting it sounds and feels very rough like its running on 3 cyls. Left for a couple mins ticking over like this it clears and all is fine. If you rev it whilst it is doing this you get a bit of smoke and a smell of fuel. Taking it to a garage is hopeless as it never performs this party trick when left with them.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks

Ray
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd have thought the first thing to do was to establish which cylinder was affected (same every time?) , then check its plug, injector electrical connections (can corrode), injector seals (can harden). Its also worth checking the resistance of the plug leads (should be equal and less than 20K ohms).

It would help others answer if we knew a little more about the car - ie age, mileage and if you know it the make and model of engine management system or whatever it has (eg Bosch Motronic ...?) This is simply because the Xara probably varies throughout its production life and certain components are probably prone to failure.
jeremy
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If it's the MK1 Xsara on an early reg then it could be the coil pack. Little square thing where the HT leads go on to. These have been know to break down inside with age. Replacements are between £40 & £65. If you need to replace get the part number of the top and go to a motor factor or auto electrician as it'll be cheaper then the main dealer.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
d87heaven

Post by d87heaven »

More details about the car

T plate, 1.4 west coast, milage is genuine 50~60k

I have replaced the coil pack about 4 years ago, when it started to go it was when it was warm and it was more of a stop start problem.

I don't even know if it is a cyl missing or if its a mixture problem, it sounds like its burbling is the best expression I can give.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you replaced the coil pack 4 years ago this one's now probably as old as the original was when when you replaced it!

Worth metering the leads - if they are original they're probably well beyond their sell by date now. Also general good look around at the electrics for anything out of order.

Don't suppose it has a distributor - if it has look in the cap and make sure its spotless and dry. - if not - replace.

Also may be worth having a look for stray sparks in the dark!
jeremy