ZX TD wiggle on acceleration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Insect

ZX TD wiggle on acceleration

Post by Insect »

My 230,000-mile ZX TD Estate has, a month ago, had a second-hand rear suspension assembly, all-new rear suspension bushes, 2 new front lower suspension arms and one roll-bar link. This was to cure chronic knocking from the suspension and the familiar problem of the rear wheels leaning in and catching on the bodywork. I expected the handling to have improved as well as getting a quieter ride, but recently some of the knocking has returned and a strange new symptom has appeared. If I'm cruising along and press the accelerator the car does a little wiggle to the right. If I release the accelerator it wiggles back left again. Most disconcerting. Does anyone know what might cause this? It must be something to do with the front suspension, I assume, but what? I've had the tracking checked and the steering rack is a recent recon.
I'd appreciate some help as I'm just about to take the family to Austria on our annual skiiing trip!
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Must be front lower control arm bushes worn.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Might be the lower ball joints.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with Anders - One front wheel is probably moving a significant distance forward on acceleration, probably the left one. I doubt if bottom ball joint (on the hub carrier/wishbone joint) could wear enough without falling apart.
jeremy
My Cars:

zx miles

Post by 8304 »

hi

i would agree with the previous responses as to the problem with the wiggle on your zx but i couldnt help but notice the "230000miles on one engine"! has it had a new head gasket/s and what other bits have been done if anything - apart from cam belt and oil changes.

ive heard of na 19d's doing that sort of mileage but that is well impressive for a turbo to manage it!!!!
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Insect

Post by Insect »

Thanks for your responses. Sounds like the lower control arm bushes are shot, then. I think I'll have them replaced both sides, as the swaying around is making me a little motion sick! I can only assume that I didn't notice anything before because of all the play in the suspension arms, rear axle, subframe bushes etc.

8304 asked about the engine. It is original apart from one head gasket (at about 100k) and a water pump. It's had cambelts at 45K and its oil is religiously changed at 6k intervals using Halfords oil and filters. It's had a couple of drive belts for the alternator etc and a set of glowplugs too. It uses no oil between services and I've never had to touch anything else. I thought this was just normal for these engines! My previous BX had reached 200k when I wrote it off...
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.
Insect

Post by Insect »

An update, for information. The wiggle turns out to have been due to a loose bolt that should secure the front of the lower suspension arm, passenger side. This should have been torqued to 44 ft/lb when the suspension arm was replaced by the garage, but I suspect it was put in finger-tight at first (as Haynes recommends) and the final tightening was omitted. I can't prove this, of course, and I suppose it could have worked loose, but I have my doubts.
The bolt has now been refitted and tightened correctly and the handling has returned to normal. I'll keep a watch on the bolt unless it comes loose again.
Thanks to all who helped.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If the bolt has been loose it really ought to be taken out and examined for stretch and other damage (like thinning due to fretting). A responsible mechanic will probaly have done it or replaced it as a matter of course with another of the same or better spec.
jeremy