ZX windscreen washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rabenson
My Cars:

ZX windscreen washers

Post by rabenson »

For some time my screenwashers had become weaker and weaker until they eventually failed to reach the windscreen....

So I decided to take action - eventually pinned it down to what I thought was a pipe connector near the front scuttle. I removed said device with the intention of rodding it through.

After trying wire and eventually a drill I realised that it was in fact a non-return valve :oops: which was obviously designed to stop the washer water from draining back to the reservoir and thus increasing the time for the jet to start. As this had siezed, I decided to temporarily replace it with a normal pipe connector.

This has had two effects.

1) It takes a split second longer for the water to start (as expected) however, the pump is powerful and the wipers hardly have a chance to move before the water hits the screen.

2) The washer pipes under the bonnnet now no longer remain full of water and no longer freeze solid!!!!!!

I think that item 2 more than outweighs item 1 :lol:
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You dont use antifreeze washer fluid then ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Hi Anders,

Yes I do use antifreeze but find that if I use it a concentration that's strong enough to always prevent freezing, it doesn't clean the screen as well as my usual clearalex and water mix. (tends to become greasy after a while). anyway, if I can get away without using it - I'd rather!
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Apparently they make a 'mist jet' for the Xsara that uses less water and cleans your screen better than the normal nozzles. :)

I am going to fit some as soon as the local dealer gets them for me. Cost seems to vary between £4.50 and £6 a pair.. More details can be found on the peugeot forum.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

James,

I bought the Xsara mist jets for my Xantia but had a look and i dont see anyway they would fit on mine, i suppose people were referring to Xantia Mk2's.

I know xsara jets are on the bonnet top and xantias (Well Mk1's at least) sit underneath
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi mezuk. I haven't actually seen any yet so not sure how they fit, but my ZX go underneath as well oeerr.. lol. I copy pasted the following from the Peugeot forum..

>>After driving my Dads 406,i too liked the mist jets.I got a pair from Peugeot 2 mths ago for about £6.Same fitting on the Xantia.Worked a treat until the left side blocked up again.I`ve since replaced the hose/tubing under the bonnet leading to the jets,no probs since.There was quite a bit of gunk trapped in the pipes.
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

James UK please Keep us updated with Mist Jets..I too have a ZX and would be intrested to know how you get on with the conversion...Thanks.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I bought some Xsara washerjet for my Bro's 306 for Xmas, £4.50odd all in, just not worth a trip to the scrappers.

They make a huge differance, the windscreen gets completely soaked before the wipers even move! lol
I too wouldn't mind a set for the ZX but the xaras as you say are on the top & the ZX under the rear lip, I personally like this idea.
I thought the mk2 Xantia's were mist types but they're not. If you could get them heated too that would be ace.

Keep us posted 8)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Just a thought...what actually makes them "mist"

The end (the bit where the water comes out :lol: ) is a vertical rectangle, so wouldnt you be able to amend a Xantias' ends to match, well as good as you could???
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Peugeot 406 mist jets are the same as the Xantia`s,mounted under the bonnet.So presumably the same on the ZX?
My Dad`s 406 is a 53/2003 with mist jets,so i just gave the local Pug dealer the details to get the exact jets.Not sure what year the started fitting them.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

you would happen to have a peugeot part number for them then???
Would i be able to get them from Citroen???

Does anybody want my Xsara Mist Jets for a few quid??
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yeh a part number would be cool, the citroen dealer is next door to the pug one round my way, so if one hasn't got them then the other would! :lol:

np - do you know if the jets are heated?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

:? Heated mist jets?? We talking steam cleaning now? lol.. :D :D :D be great for deicing the screen on cold mornings. lol.. :lol:

Picking the jets up tomorrow (friday), have a hacksaw, tyre lever, big hammer, and superglue ready to make them fit . :evil: :twisted: :D :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Sorry,but i cant find the invoice for them.But 1st thing i`ll ring the Pug garage with my Dad`s 406 reg number & get a part number for you.No,they are not heated.
I had to use a bit of super glue on mine.They are indentical to my Xantia jets,but just did`nt clip in right.But a few mins of fettling got them right.Vast improvement over std jets. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

There are some Pug 406 jets on fleebay at the moment £3.50 BIN price I think.