HDi won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

HDi won't start

Post by batwad »

:evil: Car's been starting fine no problems until last night when I went to fire it up; the engine just turns over and over and over. There's usually one ever-so-slight splutter that sounds like it's catching but it doesn't get anywhere near firing. Yes, there's fuel in the tank.

Having read a few posts here (god bless you all) I decided to have a look at the Dreaded Low Pressure Fuel Pump Of Doom under the rear seats. I've got it out and it's sitting on my kitchen worktop as we speak (it's the one with the built-in sender unit). I get an open circuit when I measure the resistance across the motor terminals and not a squeak when I put power to it - is this likely to be my problem? More importantly, do GSF stock this part?

Finally, just to make me really sad, have I damaged the engine by trying to start it with a dodgy fuel supply?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Trying to start it without any fuel shouldn't do it any harm, and I think you have answered your own question, if the pump is reading o/c I think you need to replace it. I dont know if GSF do one, its a bit new for me. Have a look on their website, just type in "GSF" and you will find it. They do a good mail order service if you dont have one locally.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Considering the cost of the LP pumps, and that it's presumably mechanically OK, it might be worth considering repairing / replacing the motor before buying a new one. Unless thpump's seized, it seems unlikely that the motor will have burnt out, so a bit of investigation might well reveal a poor connection or fractured wire.
Worth a try - you've nothing to lose!