V registered Citroen ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilkobob
My Cars:

V registered Citroen ZX

Post by wilkobob »

Can anybody shed any light on whats happened here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

This car is a V registered Citroen ZX, which im sure they stopped on R or S plate... How come this ones a V, and how come its still only a phase one?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Why so interested in those details ?
Its pretty obvious by the images & the text that this ZX is a phase I - in a tired condition :lol:
Somewhere during its life the reg has changed for any reason.
Private import ? - write off re-reg'ed ? - messy reg office ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

its a K reg 93, the plates foobared (Y) IMO
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

autodata lists the zx upto 1998 it is not listed for 1999 so something aint right with the ad as he states its a 1999
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Well i was just a little confused. I mean to me, a V registered Citroen ZX sticks out like a saw thumb, and I wondered how one could be registered so late. Ive generally noticed that cars written off and put back on the road in this country retain their original plates, and under no circumstances would get a "newer" plate. To be a late registaration is understandable, however I would have thought it to be a phase 2, but the number plates on this one are V registered, and the bonnet is phase one, so miles out.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Looked a little further at it, and the RAC confirms it was made in 1993. Yet the DVLA website says 1999 ?!!? My guess is its been owned privately and not registered, or its a really really late sale! Must be a one off id have thought.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

That model ZX changed in 1994 at which time they put a small grill on the front instead of a slot, but there may be some odd "M" regs around that stayed in the sale rooms for a long time.. :?

Maybe it's an Irish import? I know they used to be about 6 letters ahead of the UK. :roll:

But as Anders said, it been neglected beyond redemption, :evil: so not worth worrying about unless you got time and money to spend, or need some spare parts.. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

& to be fair in this day and age, would you by a car from either a) its as dirty as that one & b) when the spelling is that bad?!?
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

also seems to have no number plate on the back . I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I checked the registration of the car and yes there is a Citroen ZX ZX 1.4I AURA in green registered with that number plate. Date of manufacture is some time 1993.

How it got the plate is difficult to explain. Plates are issued based on date of first use, not date of manufacture, so the car would have to have been sold "as new" in 1999 to get a 'V' plate. How could a ZX be built and then stored and not used for 6 years?

In any case, its a ZX, Petrol and looks rather well worn so I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, not unless it was free and I needed parts...
micitroen
My Cars:

zx

Post by micitroen »

Well, prepare to be amazed; I have just come back from a week in Cuba and they have a 'brand new' fleet of ZX taxis! Talking to the taxi driver in my best schoolboy spanish I found out it was made in China.........but still badged as Citroen. Mostly 1.4i but a few diesel models. Got a few pics but only on my 'phone. Stunning car when new, very smooth, no knocks or rattles. Bet it won't be long before some entrepreneur starts importing them. Probably all left hand drive. Working out the price from 'normal' pesos to 'tourist' pesos and then back to pounds I worked it out at £10,000 which is a lot of car for your money.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I know for a fact, that some of these compounds that store various manufacturers vehicles. There is always a rouge vehicle or two that has be left in a corner and forgotten about, although they have stock checks some every 6 months.

So this might be one of those forgotten vehicles and finally plated.???????? 8)
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

I think this could be a import , It was maybe registered aboard and the V plate is the date/year it was imported to the UK ...
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

simonelsey wrote:I think this could be a import , It was maybe registered aboard and the V plate is the date/year it was imported to the UK ...
I thought that sort of thing didnt happen any more? The DVLA now issue age related plates from the date of manufacture / first use in the case of imports? Last one I saw like this was a Mk3 Mini (10 inch wheels) on a J plate (prefix type) - last ones officially came in on B plates.
micitroen
My Cars:

v

Post by micitroen »

Your right there Marty, the dvla does (and has done for some years) keep a number of reg nos for a particular year for this reason. They didn't used to though as I bought a belgian import lhd VW beetle a number of years ago and it had a brand new plate on it.....the car was a 1968 reg so should have had an 'F' plate; but it had that years new plate an 'N' reg ie. 1975. Only time this doesn't happen is if the age of the vehicle is unable to be accurately determined, when it gets the dreaded 'Q' plate.
I also understood that they used the reg nos from those cars that changed to or retained a 'cherished' no; however I recently did the cherished plate thingy and the letter I got back from the dvla was along the lines that my old plate had been kept for my car if ever I needed to change it back when selling it.
This is also reinforced by the fact that a car I recently purchased had a cherished plate immediately after being newly reg, it reverted back to its original plate as proved by the bill of sale, the original car docs and owners manual.
This vehicle must have been stored for a long time before its initial reg (which won't have done it any good unless it was done properly), there are a number of old ex police SD1 rovers out there like this (although thinking about it and their propensity for rust probably not) not quite with this storage length. But I can remember getting all the old newly regd Vanden Plas ones as issue cars years ago and they were all at leat 2 years out of date (as it were) it was just that we were the only place that they could be offloaded.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.