XM Power steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimco1

XM Power steering

Post by Jimco1 »

Rack leaking from sides of rubber leak of section. Stays fine until I rev the engine and then it pours out. Have replaced rack with known good rack exactly the same problem started. Renewed rubber and clips but it still does it. Front suspension not rising unless revved hard. 1993 2.1 SD Estate car. Driving me insane. I have the complete 4 volume Citroen manuals which show the steering to be isolated to Pump/Distibution valve/ steering rack yet cannot trace this fault. GSF love me I havs so far puchased around 50 litres of LHM
Jon

Post by Jon »

Jim,
Sounds like the pinion valve is over-pressurising the rack. Thats the only way that this fault could happen. When you changed the rack, did you use the pinion valve from your old rack or the one fitted to its replacement?
This fault is surely caused by a faulty pinion valve. The other distinct possibility is that the RETURN pipe from the pinion to the LHM tank is either kinked, damaged or blocked. This again would cause fluid to be forced out of the rack body as you describe.
Jon Wood
forum@andyspares.com
Jimco1

Post by Jimco1 »

Oh dear, this I was dreading. I had an identical car that was superb other than it was auto and as all Cit XM autos finally do it decided that going forwards was not something it was into anymore. Quotes for new box plus fitting were horrendous. I then found this car, a beauty with full Cit stamped history until it fell into the hands of a philistine 6,000 earlier. The rack was leaking. My rack was good but the rack on this was (a) set up for the car and (b) the gaiters were good. I swapped the ram from the old to the new. The same fault occurred. I thought maybe I had caused the small slit in the rubber so we took it out and re-did it. It leaked again. Took it out swapped the ram back with new rubber and it did it again. We are now on about our seventh swap. I have cornered the market in LHM, I buy it by the box in the Harrow Road!! I will pray for a blockage in the return pipe but know it is another rack out job!! Cheers.