xantia help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

liamkeen

xantia help needed

Post by liamkeen »

i have a 1998 xantia estate 1.8 16v i parked up on monday no probs and locked it with my central locking keyfob when i went to get in it today the RCL was dead? so i though ahhh maybe ill open the door with the normal key lock so i did and noticed the clock,radio and big interior light was out so i decided to drive to the petrol garage and check the fuses and get some fuel to get home from wales but realised the fuel cap was still locked from the central locking bar thats locks it!!
i checked all the fuses and none had gone so i called the AA and the key fob was tested and was fine and also checked the fuses under the bonnet and inside all were fine he informed me the car was starting fine and we disconnected the battery in hope to reset any possible fault i had to use a screwdriver to force the petrol cap open in order to get home and am quite upset and cant work out what the problem can be so before i go throwing silly money down the drain thought id seek some advice i know when a fuse blew when i fitted my cd player in the summer that they were all on the same fuse therefore the same circuit and have consulted the haynes but cant think of anything but my wipers have been intermittent for a while maybe a loose connection but thought i should mention it

SORRY FOR THE LONG THREAD im hoping your still with me now!
cheers
liamkeen

Post by liamkeen »

anyone any help or ideas welcomed please?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I wish you'd used some punctuation in your posting :?
Its really breathless to read :wink:

Fuses have a habit of looking good - not being so :x
Since you have several functions inactive together with the RCL I would still suspect the circuit fuse.
Could as well be a problem in the power distribution module next to the battery.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

On Xantias (as I have learnt recently) you don't actually need the fob.
The normal key unlocking the car should open the fuel cap. If you want to deadlock the car turn the key to lock it and the hold the key in that position for 2 secs and you will hear an extra locking sound.

I bought a Xantia at christmas with out a remote, I then bought a replacement that didn't work and was then told I did'nt actually need one.

The other thing is that if your alarm is triggered because you don't have the fob you can reset it by switching the ignition on and holding the button down nearest to the right of the steering column (a loudspeaker symbol with a cross through it). A citroen dealership showed me this for free!

Forget the fob! Enjoy driving your Xantia.

Goodluck

Dave
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
liamkeen

Post by liamkeen »

there is defo no way of opening the fuel cap without prising it
sorry for the lack of punctuation just concentrated on getting the punctuation right
the AA guy checked all the fuses and they were good but could it be a relay??
liamkeen

Post by liamkeen »

i hear what your saying about using a normal key and holding it for 2 secs and it usually works but its not now
i loved my citroen and im fast thinking less of them now after this on a low millage well cared for car
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

On BMWs (I used to be a mechanic) there was a button behind the boot carpet above a wheel arch to manually open the fuel filler hatch. I'm new to citroen but try removing the carpet or phoning a dealer to find out

Best of luck

Dave

PS all second hand cars have glitches, thats why people sell them, my car has a couple (see 'Juddery Xantia' thread)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
liamkeen

Post by liamkeen »

cheers dave makes me feel better to know im not the only troubles driver!
had a mate slating citroens/french cars today and i defended it to the hills.
then i went and got in it and this happens! Fiats are the same!
problem is i got a MOT soon and tax,plus this has just happened! and some guy not long ago crashed into the side of me! plus i got a nissan micra to MOT and tax the joys of motoring i need new spheres too !!
ARRRRGGGGHHH