Return pipes to LHM Reservoir

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Return pipes to LHM Reservoir

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,

I've noticed recently since I cleaned out my LHM reservoir (the car's now back together and being driven)that there is a slight leakage of LHM fluid on top of the reservoir.Its not obvious where the leak has sprung from.
Can someone tell me,do "all" the hoses/pipes have to be secured where they terminate at the reservoir head pipe connections?
I ask this because before removing the said pipes/hoses all but 3 of them were secured by original citroen type hose clamps(which have been replaced).I know that most of the hoses are return hoses and may not warrant securing with hose clamps,but I'm just wondering if someone prior to my ownership of the vehicle has tampered/ill-maintained the car.Before anyone ask's ..'no',there was no leakage prior to my cleaning of the reservoir.
Also I have filled the reservoir to the correct level using the proceedure of having the car on its highest suspension setting etc etc.
I know I could try and put hose clamps on all the said pipes,but is that really necessary,plus it'll be a fiddly job because of all the connections being so close(Thanks Citroen !!)
Can any one put this mind of mine at rest...please...Thanks
Steve :?
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The small rubber hoses would simply be a push fit over the studs. No clamps securing these. Take a closer look on these pipes as they may have cracked where they fit over the studs - which then is the cause of the leak.

Its perfectly allright to secure the pipes using nylon zippers - if that makes you sleep better 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Agree with Anders on this one - the three small pipes that don't have clamps on them are only a press fit, and like any other press fit rubber hose they can leak when the rubber gets old and hard and/or forms cracks.

The top of the tank on my Dad's Xantia is always slightly wet with oil, and we tracked it down to one of the pipes without clamps leaking just a tiny amount.

By removing the tank you have disturbed these rubbers that were probably on the way out already and now they leak.

I can't remember without looking whether the rubbers are short lengths that join onto a plastic tube further down or not, but if they are, replacing them would most likely fix your leak, however they would need to be the exact same type otherwise they are likely to leak due to poor fitting. (And also must be LHM resistant of course)

Or you could try Anders suggestion of plastic zip straps although you may find it difficult to find enough room to do all three, and it may be hard to get enough tension to make enough difference if the rubber has gone hard.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be just that the reservoir is to full.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your replys.
As you say using plastic pipe clips may suffice,which strangely enough,is what I replaced a couple of the other pipe clips with(not the high pressure one's),but as you also say I think it'll be almost impossible to place these type of hose clips around the other hoses which are not normally clamped(as you say ..lack of room).
Another question for you.....What type of hoses would make suitable replacement hoses in the event of not being able to source proper replacement hoses recommended for this application?
I have some length of hose ( I dont know what its called) thats clear plastic looking,embeded in it is a lattice work of ....lets say.... criss cross white webbing that gives it its strength.I remember seeing used years ago on cars that used it for fuel pipes on carburettors(which apparently was a 'no 'no' because the fuel,over time, made the hose go very stiff if not solid.
I have this type of hose in various sizes.Would it be suitable or could anyone suggest something else more suitable?
Steve

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Level has been checked Peter and is o.k.

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd have thought the proper hose obtained from Citroen of GSF or similar would be an adequate replacement. Many of the pipes go into strange shaped mouldings and these are obtainable.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its perfectly allright to use fuel piping as the LHM is mineral oil based - like good old fashion mineral engine oil.
But as Jeremy points out it can rather fast build up to homemade nests of PVC/rubber hoses, nylon Tees, zippers and joiners.
Not sure this is economical even on the short run - taking into account the (lack of) reliability :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

as Jeremy points out it can rather fast build up to homemade nests of PVC/rubber hoses, nylon Tees, zippers and joiners
Very true! A few years ago, I replaced all the hoses on a BX octopus using metal pipe for joints - didn't realise that the whole thing was available cheaply :?
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks for your posts folks.Will look into the cost of replacing the required pipes,maybe at GSF if they supply them.