XM pressure regulator replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blondie
My Cars:

XM pressure regulator replacement

Post by Blondie »

We're about to attempt to replace the hydraulic pressure regulator on a 2.1 turbodiesel XM 1997.No inspection pit available so the car will only be on ramps.Are we mad?Any advice very gratefully received.Thanks!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Would say you are mad if you dont know really whats wrong with the hydraulic system 8)

Why are you suspecting the PR being defective in the first place ?

BTW : We agree this is the PR ? :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/bxser/akumul_a_regulator.gif
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Good point.

Has anyone ever known a pressure regulator to fail ? I've never heard of it..... they can sometimes get a bit of internal leakage but that can usually be rectified externally by reseating both ball valves.

Probably the single most reliable item in the entire hydraulic system...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Blondie
My Cars:

Post by Blondie »

Hi Anders and Simon,thanks for your thoughts. We've been told by ex-Citroen mechanic that the slow LHM leak that's been apparent for some time is coming from cup attached to regulator where an O ring has failed-he claims replacing the ring is never successful and a new unit is required-300 quid for the whole job.Hollow laugh.We want to sort it out ourselves-one of us has worked on Citroens a lot(BX,Xantiaand now XM),the other one makes the tea and blonde remarks.We've sourced the part for under 100quid and intend to replace the accumulator sphere at the same time, having replaced all the other spheres a couple of months ago.
Cheers.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Go ahead then 8)

Not different from any other hydraulic Citroens. Exact removal procedure depends on engine type - A/C fitment - LHD or RHD.
Have you tried sourcing the cup ?
I seem to remember that some of the old timer suppliers (for classic Citroens) should have this on stock. Note that GS & CX now are classics and these also had the plastic cup on the PR.

A point to remember if you swap parts :
The shims found under the spring inside the cup are unique for that spring - calibrating the cut-out pressure for the PR.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Silly one - have you tried tightening the screws securing the plastic cup - stopped mine leaking. Next leak was one of the pipes wasn't going in quite straight and the seal didn't like it - straightened up pipe run and no problem.
jeremy
Blondie
My Cars:

Post by Blondie »

Thanks everyone for your time and advice. We're going to proceed cautiously and see if a little judicious tightening and TLC will solve the LHM leak before we rush in and buy a new regulator. Access to the reg.pipes is a nightmare however on this XM- automatic 2.1TD VSX Estate- without access to hydraulic ramps. Or a garage! In a wet January.Oh well, character building stuff.
Cheers everyone and thanks again. Brilliant website.
alastair
My Cars:

Post by alastair »

I had a pressure regulator fail on a BX once, it had done 220,000 miles though, so can't really complain! I have several spare pressure regulators (off BXs) if you need one.
Blondie
My Cars:

Post by Blondie »

Thanks Alastair for that offer-have just bought new one unfortunately! But a very kind thought. Thanks again.