My xantia has a soft bounce at the back of the car, why?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wondered

My xantia has a soft bounce at the back of the car, why?

Post by wondered »

i have a xantia which i bought 3 days ago, the back of the car feel very soft and maybe a little too soft, what could be the reason?

Elad.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: My xantia has a soft bounce at the back of the car, why?

Post by Mandrake »

wondered wrote:i have a xantia which i bought 3 days ago, the back of the car feel very soft and maybe a little too soft, what could be the reason?

Elad.
It would help if you told us what model it is :wink: Especially whether its Hydractive 2 or not, also hatchback or estate, and year.

The only thing that would make it "too soft" would be if the wrong spheres are fitted. But first of all, are you sure that you are just not used to how soft it should be ? Have you owned a Hydropneumatic Citroen before ?

For example the rear of a Hydractive 2 model (with engine running) is VERY soft and sitting in the boot will completely bottom the suspension. That is normal.

If you can tell us what model the car is and also locate on the rear spheres the code numbers, someone can look up the sphere for you and tell you if it is the right one.

Give the rear spheres a clean with a wet rag, and you will find a two digit number stamped near the filler plug in the middle, it will probably read 30 or 40 - this is the pressure. Elsewhere you should find a 6 to 8 digit number usually starting with a 9 - this is the Citroen part number from which the sphere can be identified. If they're GSF spheres it may be a shorter number starting with the letter N. Basically let us know any markings that you can read on it.

Warning: don't go under the rear of the car without using ramps or axle stands for support so you don't get squashed if the suspension develops a fault.

One common mistake is to put 40 bar estate spheres on the back of a hatchback which should have 30 bar spheres, this will indeed make it too soft. (For most peoples tastes, some people like it like that....)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
wondered

It's my 5th citroen.....:)

Post by wondered »

my xantia is 1996 sedan(?), 2 l engine 16v manual gear.

The problem is that while driving it feels like i am riding on waves...
Don't think it should be this way...

Elad.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it might not be the rear at fault,because if the front is firmer than it should be, the rear will float as it should and the front might not move very much
regards malcolm
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Wondered - are you able to take pictures of the height of the car sitting on th wheels :shock: ...erm as in how much gap is between the top of the tyre to the rear arch panel and similar the front

When i bought mine 4ish months ago the car seemed a bit to floaty and not exactly a comfy floaty, found out it was riding high at about 20mm either end, dropped it down and boy is it nice...well from what i have been use to at least.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
erez
My Cars:

Post by erez »

Elad, i got my xantia ride height fixed a week ago, the dealer garage in Ako says it should be 18cm in front and back, i'm not so sure about that because it's the same garage that told me that there is no such thing as anti sink sphere...
can someone please tell me what should be the height? (front and rear) and where do you measure.
thanx! Erez.
this is my signature....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you look at the suspension arms, front and rear, they should be near enough level at normal hieght setting, if they are its not far out.

The rear suspension will always feel softer than the front because it normally carries much less weight so the gas is less highly compressed.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I have experienced this very unsettling driving style and the spheres on the rear had just been fitted with the wrong ones! A higher pressure sphere will cause a see saw effect as you are driving along, and yes it will be very soft on the back end.
Cheers!
John
wondered

There is another simptom;

Post by wondered »

when i stop the car, the back rises a bit, and after a minute or less, when i let the brake pedal loose, the car drops down lower then it suppose to.
it takes the car 10-15 seconds to rise back up to normal height..

What could it be?
Man who drive like hell bound to get there.
Virginity like buble, one prick all gone...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: There is another simptom;

Post by Mandrake »

wondered wrote:when i stop the car, the back rises a bit, and after a minute or less, when i let the brake pedal loose, the car drops down lower then it suppose to.
it takes the car 10-15 seconds to rise back up to normal height..

What could it be?
I posted a long description of this "problem" not so long ago but I can't seem to find it now :(

This problem will be much worse than normal if the rear suspension is too soft so sort that problem out first and then see if you still have issues with this.

Also driving style affects whether this will happen or not. Braking hard and not easing off the brakes as you come to a stop is more likely to cause it to happen for example.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
wondered

Yes, but how?

Post by wondered »

i know i have to solve the problem, that is why i am here, i don't know HOW to solve the problem, here i need your guys's help...

it feel s like something is wrong but i can not point my finger at it.
in andyspares forum there was a thread about that problem, but it's not there anymore...

Elad.
Man who drive like hell bound to get there.
Virginity like buble, one prick all gone...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Yes, but how?

Post by Mandrake »

wondered wrote:i know i have to solve the problem, that is why i am here, i don't know HOW to solve the problem, here i need your guys's help...
Well, you could start by providing us the information I asked for in my original reply - the code numbers off the spheres that are fitted on the rear of your car. Without this information we can only speculate what might be wrong....

There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, but none of them are psychic :wink:
it feel s like something is wrong but i can not point my finger at it.
in andyspares forum there was a thread about that problem, but it's not there anymore...

Elad.
All the message threads from the old Anyspares forum should be on this forum as they were transfered over, although I admit I have had difficulty finding some of my own old posts using the search feature...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400