Xantia 97 estate water ingress :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano
My Cars:

Xantia 97 estate water ingress :(

Post by deano »

Hi

i have a 97 xantia estate and have found there to be quite a lot of water ingress behind the drivers seat towards the center. The carpet s damp / wet there are no water lines to this area from the door or any where else. The only thing i can think of is that the rear wash pipe runs down the center of the car, but i'm sure this must go through the roof lining?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, as i have the afternoon off to try and stop the leak / ingress.

TIA

Deano
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Apparently this is quite common for Estates, someone should be around to help you 8)
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

great, thanks for letting us know.

deano
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Although my estate has been dry so far (touch wood) I understand that the seal on the rear tailgate can give problems. If your boot carpet is wet underneath then it most probably the tailgates fault. If you remove the lining, it is screwed on, you will see a plastic membrane. This is attached with mastic to the tailgate and the mastic can leak. As the membrane is, outside, of the tailgate the water then flows onto the boot floor, wicks its way to the rear seat well (another good place to check) and normally ends up rusting the alarm box under the front passenger seat.

Somebody will be along soon with a recommendation of the best type of mastic to use to re-seal it if that is your problem.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

so am i right in thinking the water comes in through tailgate and then makes it way along to the rear footwells? the last time i checked the boot floor it wasn't wet, but will check again just in case i missed it.

thanks
Deano
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

According to the previous owner of my Xantia hatchback (in the service history) they had to replace the boot seal and the sunroof seal and tried having all the drain holes rodded. Anyway the upshot is it must have worked cos it's dry as a bone! Good luck.

Dave
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

ok cheers, i'll take a look at the tailgate seal tomorrow in the light.

cheers
deano
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you have a sunroof,you will more than likly find the drain tube/s blocked,the easyest way to clear them is with compresed air and a blow gun,just locate the bottom ends of all 4 drain tubes,with sunroof fully open and sun blind closed,blow compresed air up the tubes from the bottom,some people on here say that the dirt gets in to the bottom end of the tubes but this is no right as they do not terminate out side of the car
regards malcolm
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

More than likely IS the tailgate membrain.The water comes in around where the rear wiper enters the glass.The membrain stops the water leaking in,as there are drain holes at the bottom of the tailgate.The estate boot floor is ribbed,so the water will run along & down under the rear seats.Also,the boot carpet is over an inch thick,so will take some time to become water logged.I`ve had this twice on mine.The best way of dealing with it(if it is the tailgate)is to compleatly remove the membrain,spend a lot of time removing all the old mastic to get nice clean surfaces.The 2nd time i used caravan sealing mastic strips.Comes on a roll,in different widths.I used 20mm wide.Its like double sided tape.Simply apply to the tailgate,then push & bed the membrain onto it.Then,when its all stuck back on,go around the whole lot with some waterproof bathroom silicone sealent.The mastic is about £6 a roll,from any caravan/camping shop.I did mine over 3 yrs ago now,with no leaks since. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi

cheers for the post, will check out the rear washer area and get some mastic and membrane and see how i get on :)

Thanks
Deano
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You could always have a leaky bottle of magantec oil (brand new, just short of £20) and have about 4 litres of the stuff spill in the boot, this will ensure three things

1. Underneath the boot will probably never develop any bit of rust ever.
2. It will keep the water away (in your case an Estate) and go elsewhere :lol: and
3. One serious hacked off Citroen owner :cry:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

water leak. in xantia estates.

Post by KennyW »

It leaks water throught the tailgate onto the carpet and into the footwells.
I had same problems as I used a power cleaner to wash the car rather too vigorously and the 'leak' appeared.
Dry the car out and check that all seals are fine.It leaked through the the opening handle.
I hope this is useful.
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi,

has been resealed around wiper and seems to be ok so far :) thanks for all the replys and advice :)

Deano