Xantia - no rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mabbs
My Cars:

Xantia - no rear suspension

Post by Mabbs »

My Xantia rear o/s suspension has become rock solid, after having used a series of Citroenaerobics, yet the rear n/s has movement. The previous owner stated the suspension spheres were all changed 18 months ago. I have changed the accumulator sphere and now the h/p pump kicks in every minute and I am currently running hydraflush. Is this almost certainly a flat sphere, or something else (trailing arm bearings?)

The suspension drops an inch over night on all corners (anti sink spec) would changing the rear anti sink sphere correct this and also improve the ride (in conjunction with the rear suspension spheres)?

Any advice would be greatly received.

Richard - Xantia 96 TD - 130k miles
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would say its probably just the sphere, although he said 18 months ago, they apparently last about 3 years or 40,000 miles whichever comes first. if it is the sphere remember to get the pair replaced.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I agree, it sounds very much like a sphere gone.
To check, fully raise the suspension , then fully lower it. If the t/a bearings are bad enough to make that corner solid, you will almost certainly hear louds creaks, groans and possibly bangs as the car goes up and down!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

WHAT????? :shock:

Somebody agrees with me :P
Well i really am truely learning.
Remember this day fellers :D
Mabbs
My Cars:

Post by Mabbs »

thanks chaps

No groans or anything untoward from the trailing arms when raising / lowering, must just be bad luck with the age of the spheres!

Is it worth changing the anti sink- looks original? Has anyone used the spheres fitted on the lower models AKA 1.9 D, 16, 1.8 to achieve a more "Citroen" like ride (at the expense of body roll)? I notice the Haynes states that TD/2.0i 96-98 models ride at a lower height than any other models, wonder why this is? Or should I stick to the originals and accept the firmer ride?

Rich
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Im aware that there is one member that is currently running his Xantia diesel (i believe) on his petrol Xantia (I believe) and im sure its Citroennut (or similar), whoever it is its on his signature information at the bottom of his posts and apparently having these different spec spheres its a beautiful ride

Ok its not citronnut but it is a regular
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

When Andyspares hosted the forum, there was a full table of sphere specs and applications available.
I can't find my download of it at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's still available, but someone will have it!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Changing the anti-sink sphere will not affect the ride quality as it acts as a pressure reserve for the rear brakes.

I agree with the other comments that the fault lies with a ruptured sphere, possibly when they were 'changed' they were merely regassed, rather than replaced.

As far as using sphere's from a lower spec model then I can give first hand experience, having done this myself on several VSX models which admittantly are fitted with Hydractive (more sophisicated) suspension and yes the ride was improved. Basically the bottom line is that if you are looking for a more comfortable ride then yes, they will provide that, but as always it will be at the expense of 'handling'.

However, bear in mind that the handling 'improvement' provided by firmer sphere's (as in TD) is to comply with the opinion of those so called 'experts' such as sales rep's who have some sway over the purchasing of company car's. Or am I being cynical :roll:
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

GSF do 'comfort' spheres, a set of which I have fitted to my XM, and they do improve the comfort without any noticable effect on the handling. Its refreshing to meet someone who actually wants to make the ride softer! It seems most people now want to corner at 100 mph with little regard to their spine or passengers, or is it just that I am getting old.
erez
My Cars:

Post by erez »

i'm with you peter!
what spheres should i install (the pressure) to my 2.0i xantia to make it softer?
right now the pressure is 50 at the front.
this is my signature....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Of course members here have greater development budgets than the manufacturers, and also have greater knowledge of the design of the suspension, its virtues and limitations.

Tinkering with suspension settings is a task for those who know what they are doing and may cause problems with insurance should you have to claim.

Before starting modfications are you sure that your suspension is functioning properly? Small things like incorrect ride height, worn struts etc can make what should be a smooth riding car seem fidgety and rough. A brushful of oil on a sticky height corrector linkage is loads cheaper than spheres anyway.

jeremy
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

erez - I dont know what the pressures are but if you have a look on the GSF website you will probably find them listed under your vehicle type. They do a very good mail order service.

Jeremy - While I appreciate your point, the fact is that most people now want a car that will handle well rather than ride well, or at least most manufacturers think they do. There are very few modern cars that give a comfortable ride, look at the latest 'Which?' review. Have you driven a DS or even a CX, they dont corner as well as a modern car without a lot of tyre shuffling, but they give a superb ride and thats what I and a lot of other people want.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Something to bear in mind with using "comfort" spheres at the rear or using any spheres that make the rear softer than usual, that you can/will probably end up with excessive squat on acceleration.

This is already a bit of a problem on the Hydractive 2 Xantia's, which is why the throttle sensor switches to hard mode during abrupt pedal movements, but even then it can be a problem.

Having the rear suspension too soft just means that the rear is riding along on the bump stops every time you accelerate and can make the ride worse!

Also with an automatic transmition the continuous acceleration can last long enough to cause an upwards height correction so that when you do ease off the acceleration the rear is now sitting at the top bump stops until another correction is made. Not to mention a tedency for the rear height to fidget at the traffic lights...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mabbs
My Cars:

Post by Mabbs »

Thanks for your thoughts. Found this site useful for calculating suspension firmness with different spheres: http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/suspens/model.html

and as a reference this table from GSF: http://www.gsfcarparts.com/downloads/sphere_table.pdf

I can not see any specific comfort spheres on the GSF site, I understand these have have slightly larger diameter damper valves. I have calculated that with the original spheres the firmness is similar to a GTI BX, but changing these to the lower spec 1.9 D reduces the firmness by about 20%. Most of the roads in this country are too rough and busy to drive at break neck speed anyway!

Rich - Xantia TD '96
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Mabbs - You are right on both counts, the 'comfort' spheres only seem to be listed for the XM, sorry about that, and as you say the better ride is achieved by less severe damping, so wont affect the vehicle ride height.