zx td radiator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

zx td radiator

Post by 8304 »

Hello everybody...

quik question about zx td radiators -

i noticed after a longish drive this morning that the top of my radiator was cold to the touch but the bottom was warm / hot. The temp gauge was reading 80-85 degrees (the engine was still running.

The radiator is new and the system has been bled a number of times after it was fitted. The heater is always warm and the car never seems to over heat even when given some stick.

Is this normall???? - should the whole of the rad be warm??

cheers in advance!!
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I would imagine the whole radiator should be warm, convection might mean that the top should be hotter than the bottom so it sounds like theres some air in there, i would advise that you try bleeding the system .
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the weather is very cold and you have your heater on, the thermostsat is probably completely closed, the heater taking all the heat being produced, and therefore no hot water is entering the radiator, the warmth at the bottom is probably due to some convection going on from the open return pipe. If you leave the engine running with the heater off, the top of the rad should suddenly get hot as the stat opens.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

When you say bleed the system as you've said in this topic and others, are you doing it correctly as laid down in the Haynes manual.

If not, as its been said so many times in the past, rather than type it out all again, Its best to do a search on the forum or get hold of a Haynes manual, on how the proper procedure should be done, not just by opening the three bleed screws as that does not bleed the system. :wink:
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014