C5 rear passenger door wont open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wolvesinwales

C5 rear passenger door wont open

Post by wolvesinwales »

Hi, Any ideas how to get into it / fix it ? All other central locking works fine but all of a sudden the one rear passenger door wont open.

Thanks
C5 4 door --- should be 5 ...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I seem to recall something similar coming up before relating to a late Xantia and the problem being a body control computer problem - sorted with a laptop!
jeremy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

im 99% sure it will be a faulty door latch.if you cant get the door to unlock try banging the door on the outside in the area of the latch while working the central locking,it sometimes gets it working again at least once so you can get in to change it. failing that it is possible to remove the door panel with the door closed although a bit auckward,once you get in there you will need to destroy the latch with a hammer & big screwdriver if you still cant get the dor open.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I paid the dealer to change the lock on my Xsara (same problem as your C5) because if I slipped with a hammer and chisel it is my problem, but if the dealer punches a hole in the door then he has to fix it!

It is only an hours labour to change a lock. Almost like cheap accident insurance!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Have the same problem on mine...sometimes it unlocks, but mostly doesn't. I have to take it t the dealer, though i've remembered of removing the inside triming and spraying with a bit of wd-40...
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I currently have this problem with my Xantia but cant say it bothers me that much since i dont use that door personally :lol: and on occasion it will be ok

However since the car is a C5 i would see how much someone will charge to sort it out, i wouldnt like to take a door card off a C5 for sure and i dont even fancy doing it to the Xantia, too many memories with cheap flimsy Zx's :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
wolvesinwales

Post by wolvesinwales »

Thanks for all the tips plenty to go at from laptop to hammer !
I will let you know how i get on.
Cheers :D
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Yes, the lack of a rear wiper and saloon profile makes the C5 look like a saloon, so yours is just working to spec.

If you want to open the boot, you have to lose a door!

Mine works in a similar way, it is a 3 plus two half door car. The drivers door doesnt always unlock on the button and sometimes the boot won't open and you have to push the lid down before trying again.

Citroen's, we love them!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
ternacia

Post by ternacia »

I have managed to get the rear door in my c5 fixed at a local garage. This was not the first time they had seen the problem. The child lock switch had failed & as long as you don't need the child lock there is no need to replace the whole lock. The door coverings need to be removed to get the door opening but once it is open just swich off the child lock. Whole job only cost €40 .
alanlondon
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.8 VTR 5 speed manual 2003

Many, many DS over the years. ID 19's, DS 21's, DS23's.
Peugeot 504 pickup, wish I still had it!

Re: C5 rear passenger door wont open

Post by alanlondon »

Sorry this is an old post but....

I have had the problem with the rear passenger door not opening from outside.

Solution for me:

Sit in car, ignition on, press central locking button on dashboard, press it again.

Hey Presto, rear door opens from outside. No dents in wing/door, no door cards off, no broken locks, magic!
aspire_helen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exc SE 2001

Re: C5 rear passenger door wont open

Post by aspire_helen »

The usual fault is that the door cannot be opened from the inside and outside, and can be very intermittent. There are 2 small 12v electric motors and 2 microswitches in each lock. The motors can jam, and there is a very, very small chance it may be released by banging the door at just the right time. I had one where one of the microswitches failed.
I have used two methods to open the door, WITHOUT damaging the door.
1. Go through the rear wheel arch and remove a window of metal skin to access the anchor nuts securing the striker plate screws. Very carefully drill away the anchor nuts and bolt shafts until the heads are released. The door will then open with the striker plate stuck in the lock jaws. The lock can then be removed as normal. Fit a second hand lock and recover the striker plate which can be re-attached with nuts and bolts.
2. Having dismantled several locks I devised a fool-proof method of opening the jaws of the lock using only a soldering iron and instrument screwdriver. PM me for a detailed illustrated guide. In brief, remove the door card (yes it can be removed with the door closed), access the door lock body, using the soldering iron melt a small hole in a very specific place in the plastic casing, insert the instrument screwdriver in a specific way and release the internal over-lock mechanism with a satisfying click. I have so modified both my rear locks.