1.9TD timing belt covers.... any reason to have them?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I have my crankshaft pulley off right now. I plan to use the Haynes figure of 40 NM + 60 degs when I refit the bolt. That sounds pretty tight to me.

I'm not sure whether or not to use a semi permanent thread locking compound.

When I took the bolt out it was very tight and had a green/cream coloured locking compound on it.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I've never actually had a torque wrench that goes up high enough for a crankshaft pulley- use a drop of locking compound and do it up as hard as you can- it'll be o.k.!!
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

I think I have found a good reason to have timing belt covers......

They may keep the belt on!

Having run without them for a couple of hundred miles, I noticed this morning that the belt is starting to come off the various pulleys! This I discovered when I went to refill the washer bottle. I didn't have time to see how far away from hitting the aux belt it is. But I won't be driving it until I can push the belt back on fully and then only to the garage to get it changed.

I can't see that this would be a normal state of affairs since the belt would probably wear through the covers or break.

Has anyone noticed whether their covers, when they come off show any sign of contact with the belt.?
Given that I did nothing to the belt when I removed the covers any suggestions why it would move?

Cheers

Duncan
97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate 118K - sadly no more....
08 C3 1.4 HDI 38k
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A bit of oil contamination on the belt or on one of the pulleys ?

The tiniest amount of oil or other slippery substance on a flat toothed belt could make it not run true, as they rely entirely on the dynamic forces to keep the belt running in the middle...

Also if the bearing on one of the pulleys or idlers is stuffed allowing the shaft to tilt slightly under the belt tension this too would cause the belt to run off centre...all the pulleys have to be perfectly parallel.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

My son has built an autograss car with a Cosworth dry sump 215BHP engine. He thought it looked cool with everything whizzing around on view. After one lap? one wrecked engine after a stone beat up the cam belt!
Cover it up, when people design engines they do not add bits for fun.
Cheers!
John