94'Xantia TD heater

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

94'Xantia TD heater

Post by jcdel »

:( Ive read before that the heater control sometimes kinks and stops temperature control.I am just getting very slightly "aired" thru' the demister vents but not enough to clear the screen even after 10mins.I've checked all the obvious. ie heater hoses get hot on flow and return etc. but it looks a bit restricted to actually get into the actual heater box area.Any suggestions please. ( struggling to get seat belt on cos' of all the woolies) :roll:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

On a '94 it could likely be a tired coolant thermostat as well. Shows up exactly in this kind of weather :)

Common thermostat failure is it sticks partly open constantly making for ages to the engine reaching normal working temp.
A simple test is a hand on the large hose running from engine into top of radiator. From cold engine start the hose should remain cold then rather abruptly raise to the scalding point after some 5min's.

I.e. if the hose instead slowly warms up and this goes on for ages - the thermostat is defective.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Agree with Anders. Does it have a water temperature gauge, if so is it reading normal. A duff thermostat will result in it hardly leaving the stop in this weather. Just started snowing here!