Strange goings on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Strange goings on

Post by Nomad »

Hi

First off i am not too worried about this.
OK my suspension is fine while driving nice and smooth.
I had rear spheres put on last December and front ones put on this November.
When i set the car to the min, front and back drop as normal, then when i set it to max only the front goes up. No matter what setting i set it to the back will only go up if it is set to normal ride height.

I found this out the other day when i had the winter tyres fitted to my car, i had to raise the suspension to get it off the lift, but the back would not go up in any other setting other than normal, and this only just gave enough Clarence to drive the car off.
No when the car is doing what it does during normal driving, i hear "the only way i can explain it is it sounds like an old telex machine" ticking away behind my dash clocks (like the BBC football results Teletype noise they put on) this lasts for one or two seconds then goes off.
Today when i was testing the suspension of the car by moving the height settings about this noise was there for 1 or 2 seconds every time the car moved up or down. is this a symptom of the accumulator sphere needing replacing?

Thanks in advance

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 'ticking' noise you can hear is the hydraulic regulator cutting in and out, probably due to a flat accumulator sphere, so you want to fix that pronto. The only possible cause I can think of for the wierd behaviour of the rear suspension is a sticking height regulator. The linkage between the anti roll bar and the valve gets dirty, dry and rusty and sticks. Several applications of WD40 over a few days should free it off, if thats the problem!
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply, what is likely to happen if i leave it for a month or so? untill funds are back up as they should be.

Thanks

Tony
Xantia 1.8i 8v Presige 1995 Left Hand Drive, 5 door hatchback
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Tony

Well, if its been like it for sometime, it probably wont hurt for a bit longer, but it is possible for the stress caused to the high pressure piping to make the joint at the pump to fail, I have had it happen to me a couple of times on an XM. It wont always happen and mine had been like that for sometime before it did, but its always a possibility.

The sphere is only about £20.00 from GSF and its only a question of unscrewing it and fitting the replacement, having said that, they can get very tight due to corrosion, so you will probably need a strong strap wrench to undo it, an ordinary oil filter one will not be strong enough. When refitting only screw up hand tight.