ABS Dashboard light on a Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

On the BX the connectors for the rear ones are under the back seat, I dont suppose you will be so lucky, but its worth a look.
zxTd

Post by zxTd »

nice Little project if you want to eliminate the ABS completely,

http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?4
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the rear sensor plugs are on top of the rear sub frame side members,make sure the car is suported corectly then lay under the centre at the rear and put your fingers onto the top of each side member,and feel along it you should be able to find the plugs one each side,very hard to remove as they are cliped to the sub frame
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I've found that often the sensors themselves are ok but the co-ax connecting lead corrodes or breaks - often the screen. I found 3 broken on my BX and soldered in sections of new co-ax (with a flexible core) and insulated carefully. The rear ones I did in situ as I couldn't get them out and one is still working 6 years later. the front one failed after about 2 years but that was my fault as I routed it incorrectly and it kinked. One rear one had to be replaced for new about 2 years ago and there is a front one that i have never touched.

To find the break cut the cable somewhere convenient to work and meter the sensor end. If you still don't have a circuit - go a bit further till it works.
jeremy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Mandrake wrote:
Nomad wrote:Nope, over here, from new, a car has to be MOT'ed every two years.
Quite nice really that i have to go through the stress & worry only every 2 years.
Here in New Zealand, new cars must be tested every year and as soon as the car reaches 3 years old it must be tested every 6 months! :evil:
In this part of Australia, Queensland, only when the car changes ownership or is transferred from another state/province.
The result is that the area is full of rotten old bombs.
Last year I transferred to Queensland, and had to get it tested.
I took it to a young fellow a few numbers up the street from work, and he passed the car with 4 baldies, saying that they were just at the limit.
Most businesses in this area are struggling to survive, and are quite accomodating to gain new customers.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

citronut wrote:the rear sensor plugs are on top of the rear sub frame side members,make sure the car is suported corectly then lay under the centre at the rear and put your fingers onto the top of each side member,and feel along it you should be able to find the plugs one each side,very hard to remove as they are cliped to the sub frame
regards malcolm
Having tried to do this myself recently (chasing an intermitant ABS problem) I would comment that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to access the one on the same side as the muffler without taking the muffler out, so good luck!!

And the one on the other side needs two opposable thumbs to unplug it.... :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Agree with taking off the rear silencer when trying to get to the abs connector !. For the few minutes it takes it will save an awful lot of cursing and swearing !!

Brian
97 Xantia TD
93 Xantia TD (RIP)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

BrianM wrote:Agree with taking off the rear silencer when trying to get to the abs connector !. For the few minutes it takes it will save an awful lot of cursing and swearing !!
Alas my muffler (silencer?) Is welded on so its not a few minute job to remove. At that point I gave up any hope of checking that left hand rear ABS connector, at least not until the problem becomes more consistant.

(It happens only once in a blue moon, but I'm afraid it will choose the next warrant of fitness test in January to misbehave...)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive